165 gr nosler ballistic tips

outdoorguy

Ok guy I am by no means an expert but I do ok here's the specs weatherby vanguard series 2 308 I am tryin to load some 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips as you can see from the pictures 43 gr was my best group I know there are multiple things that come in to play and I know that some guns just don't like some bullets but I always have believed you can do some fine tuning I thought it might be me so I threw in my 168 Berger's and at 100 yards all three bullets were touching I love knowledge I'm not afraid to admit I don't know everything so someone tell me am I waist of my time with this I had issues with A couple unexpected close shots with the burgers they just penciled right through I have had more than my fair share of success reloading bullets and I do shoot long range I'm Just stumped on why these things right off the bat are such horrible groups I know with the burgers I had to set them right to the lands any input would be appreciated

Attachments

• 926CF2DE-6625-492C-92AA-345ED794FA0A.jpeg
    926CF2DE-6625-492C-92AA-345ED794FA0A.jpeg
    781.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 7E49EE32-A45A-4C7E-9AFA-EE989EFE6F1C.jpeg
    7E49EE32-A45A-4C7E-9AFA-EE989EFE6F1C.jpeg
    739.1 KB · Views: 187
I are your CBTO measurements on the Ballistic Tips vs Berger? I'd start by setting them the same and working up from mom to max.

what did your other groups look like as you worked up? Did you stop at 43 gr or did you go higher?

You will need to give a little more information.

As to the Berger bullets, did you check the tips to make sure the entire hollow point was clear?

Steve

I will give you my experience with the 2 bullets you mentioned. First were the tips of the Bergers cleaned as in a drill bit ran in to make sure they are?
I've shot animals as close as 75 yards deer and elk to along ways out there with my 6.5x300wsm and never had a failure with the 140 Bergers. I've only had what I consider 2 bullet failures once 30 years ago with the Barnes 120 grain out of my 280 Rem. Penciled right through the second was about 25 years ago in a 7mm-08 140 Nosler BT splashed on the hide of a deer right behind the shoulder on a rib.
Well I give you 3 experiences the 3rd was a bullet you didnt mention.

I will give you my experience with the 2 bullets you mentioned. First were the tips of the Bergers cleaned as in a drill bit ran in to make sure they are?
I've shot animals as close as 75 yards deer and elk to along ways out there with my 6.5x300wsm and never had a failure with the 140 Bergers. I've only had what I consider 2 bullet failures once 30 years ago with the Barnes 120 grain out of my 280 Rem. Penciled right through the second was about 25 years ago in a 7mm-08 140 Nosler BT splashed on the hide of a deer right behind the shoulder on a rib.
Well I give you 3 experiences the 3rd was a bullet you didnt mention.
I did not clean the Berger's and to be honest I didn't want to switch loads does the drill bit trick make that big of a difference in consistency?

I are your CBTO measurements on the Ballistic Tips vs Berger? I'd start by setting them the same and working up from mom to max.

what did your other groups look like as you worked up? Did you stop at 43 gr or did you go higher?

You will need to give a little more information.

As to the Berger bullets, did you check the tips to make sure the entire hollow point was clear?

Steve
I started at 41.0 and shot 4 shot groups to 44.0 43.0 seemed to be the best I do remember with my burgers in order to get my group tightened up I had to seat that bullet to the lands it did not like factory specs on overall length I believe I learned that on this site before I joined I'm starting to think I should've never switched from Berger's

Outdoorguy when I was trying different loads in my 7mm08 last year everyone and everything said to try varget. I finally found some and apparently I have the only 7 mm08 in the US that does not like it. lol ! May I suggest try some imr 4064 . I've had good luck with it in my 308 , 7mm08, and 243. The only other case based off the 308 I haven't tried it in is the 260 rem and it would probably do decent in it if given the opportunity

I had really good luck with Win 760 in my wifes 7mm-08 Rem 700 and 140 Nosler Part.
2999FPS. 24" barrel

If that gun will shoot ragged holes with Bergers, I would say you have a seating depth issue. I have never had much luck running B-tips right up to the lands, but it is really barrel specific. I will say the 165 B-tip is an absolute gem for an on game performer from the .308 Win.
I will try playing with the seating depth and see if that improves anything I know my Berger's Really came together Once I increase my overall length

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.