Nosler .270 170 gr Ballistic Tip

So loading up ladder for the 170BT but I thought for comparison and laughs with a Rem Core Lok factory.
0F01CF3E-2052-490E-8208-A6B5EB02391E.jpeg

Well…I've consulted my idiotic brain (the crystal ball previously mentioned) and predict 2867.8 fps (yes, .8 included)

Now I'd like to tell you that it's based on something intelligent. I know that's a good bit less energetic than the hammer load you worked up. And I could account for my prediction with the btip having all kinds more bearing surface and no pdr voodoo grooves and such…but here goes: it's all the metric system's fault!

.270 cartridges are designated as 6.8mm in metric.

So obviously 680 meters per second makes sense. BUT only works out to 2244 fps. Somethings missing. Gotta pay homage to the fact that it's not a metric cartridge. So obviously you add 277 to this total. And 170, that's the bullet weight, it just makes sense. Add 64.5 to reflect the case length in millimeters and 47.3 to indicate how many hundredths of an inch the case head diameter is (continuing to acknowledge both imperial and metric measurements to be diplomatic). Finally, today is the 65th day of 2022 and only an idiot wouldn't account do this in his calculations, so add 65 too.

Adds up to 2867.8

Which is 3105 foot pounds which seems right.

This unholy marriage of metric and imperial brought to you by a rural Canadian who grew up on grid roads laid out in even miles but drove on highways measured in kilometres, describes indoor temperature in Fahrenheit and outdoor temperature in Celsius, who is 5 foot 11 and has no idea what the heck 180 centimetres means (speak English!🤣) and so so on…

It actually wouldn't surprise me though if it ends up somewhere around there. Reason being is I played around with the woodleigh 180 grain .277 bullet awhile ago (sadly I've heard their facility burned down and they do not plan to rebuild :( ).

The best powder of the handful I tried ended up being RL25 then, got 2600 fps on the dot with magnum primers and Winchester brass (the other brands are much less roomy to accommodate such a deep seated long bullet and a bunch of slow burning powder). That was out of a 22 inch barrel and with 10 grain heavier and much thicker jacketed bullet with a much longer bearing surface than the ballistic tip, than any ballistic tip.

What's the barrel length on your rig again?