165 gr nosler ballistic tips

Just thought I'd post up a recent seating depth accuracy node that I found with a rebarreled Savage 110 .270Win (Shaw 1:10 barrel) that ties into this discussion.
  • Nosler 150 ABLR - started 0.010 off and ended up 0.035 off for best accuracy. 0.050 was close second and I may end up there with more testing. RL26 = 3050 fps
  • Nosler 130 BT - started same off at 0.010 and ended up at 0.015 off and shot lights out. Closer or farther looked like a shotgun RL16 = 3050 fps
  • Hornady 145 ELD-X - 0.045 off and not even remotely close anywhere else. RL26 = 3100 fps
So although relatively new barrel, it still showed definite preferences for the bullet jump. Let the barrel tell you what it likes instead of what we all think it should shoot the best at is sometiems what we are guilty of when setting a load. All of these shot well inside an 1" at 100 yards and for a 51 year old walnut stocked rifle, stock trigger, old Nikon Monarch 3x9x40, I find that acceptable! It is not a LR rifle but my deer rifle that I look at on watch trying to remember every nick, scratch, dig in the stock which usually brings a smile.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.