Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 SFP Enhanced MOAR vs MOAR-T

Headshot25

I am looking to purchase a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 SFP Enhanced. Any opinions on the MOAR vs the MOAR-T reticles?

According to Nightforce the MOAR-T reticle is 0.050 thick (ATACR 5-25x56 SFP Enhanced), while the standard MOAR is thicker at 0.100 (ATACR 5-25x56 SFP Enhanced).

It will be mounted on a 300 Win Mag and used primarily for hunting from short to long range (100 - 1000+ yards), however it will also be used for target shooting.

Which of these two reticles do you think will best serve my purposes (Best all-rounder)? Has anyone had experience with both?

Last edited:
MOAR-T is the preferred reticle for target/paper or small varmit's like prairie dogs.
For hunting game even as small as antelope, I prefer the bolder MOAR reticle.

I have both and prefer the T for everything except hunting in super low light. The T is easy to lose sight of during the 1st and last few minutes of shooting light or in very dark timber .

^^ I would echo this to a degree. In those hours, I just pull out on the left turret and the "T" turns bright red(illuminated) It's a thing, but not a big deal. I was actually looking at buying the NXS MOAR when I caught my wife in a good mood and the only thing on the shelf was a moar-t. The T came home and I've really enjoyed it since. Grab one up and you'll never know what you could have been missing with the other one. Learn it, use it. It'll do very well for you.

I own both styles in the ATACR. For hunting to 1000 yards or so I prefer the weight of MOAR reticle. More then half of my hunting shots seem to be in the first or last hour of the day, or in shadowed areas where the finer MOAR-T can be difficult or slow to acquire a clean sight picture. I have had no problem hitting targets as small as prairie dogs to 1000 yards and can keep shots within .5MOA. I like the MOAR-t for ELR target shooting past 1000 yards.

I have the ATACR with the MOAR-T, I have used it from everything from under 100 yards past 1 mile. For hunting you should be fine with it, if you can't quite see the reticle it just takes a second to reach over and push the button to turn on the illumination and you are set. I shot 2 deer right at darks couple weeks ago. I could hardly see them against the dark tree line, I just turned the illumination on and made the shot. I don't think you can go wrong with either but I prefer the MOAR-T reticle. I would pick one and use it, you will get use to whatever you chose.

I still don't know which reticle to go with:confused:. I do like the MOAR-T reticle, but I'm concerned it may be to thin to see in a dark or busy background, is the Digillum daylight visible? Is having only the center illumination on the T version anything to think about?

I went through the same decision process when ai sought an ATACR for my 300WM Hunting Rifle to be used for deer to 1000 yards. I was fortunate to be able to use both reticles before making the decision. The actual difference in reticle size between the two at 1000 yards amounts to less then 1 inch. Depending on the individuals eyes, lighting, and target background conditions, the more subjective difference and benefit of the slightly thicker MOAR reticle can be more pronounced. This is likely the reason that both styles are offered by NF. For hunting I like the cards stacked in my favor. Being primarily a deer hunter, there usually isn't too much time to fuss with lighted reticles when the opportunity at a big old buck presents itself. Shooting smallish targets at ELR, the MOAR-t certainly feels more precise and due to the greater difficulty in controlling variables at these ranges, the added precision of the MOAR-t can help stack the deck in your favor. Ultimately, choice between the two is subtle, and very much dependent the individuals preferences and priorities. IMO.

I have both, and I'm primarily a deer hunter shooting in low light, and I prefer the T. I have found that the low illumination setting works very well for me in very low light.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.