nightforce ffp vs sfp

huntsd123

I am in the market for either an NXS 22x or NX8 20x nightforce. While hunting my scopes are zoomed all the way in for long shot and all the way out when still hunting/tracking.

I am leaning towards a SFP as I am worried about the FFP cross airs not being thick enough on the low power settings to see. However, I am slightly worried about the SFP being too thick as well...

Does anyone have feedback? Much appreciated

I've got all SFP Nightforce (ATACRs') but have FFP in a few other brands. This is really a personal preference decision. I would advise looking at both, unless you are planning to use reticle to hold off, then better go FFP. IMHO, the SFP is fine at 100yds and 1000yds with MOAR and MIL-C.
The FFP may be hard to pick out at less than half max power.

Best advice I can give is to look through some that are as close as possible to what your looking for. I looked through a couple of NF and Leopold. Found the FFP pretty much useless at low power settings. Illumination helps in low light, but not at all on a bright sunny day.

Pros and cons for both.

At close range 2FP is much easier for me to pick up quickly. If you are using holdover in the reticle, chances are you have more time to acquire the target. So only being able to use it on max power works.

I do like FFP as the holdover is consistent at what ever power setting. But at about 5x and below, it doesn't matter because it's all just a mass blob.

I have several ffp, and they vary a lot. My SS is heaviest and easy to see even low. My NF is finest and ramped up ok but don't like the hairy way it looks at mid power.My TMR is quite good and cleaner than the mil c and slight thicker, as are the thick part off cross hair.The March F1 is my favorite of the as good compromise on size, usable lower and has nice thick tampered to center cross hair.My NF does have illumination, which can be used on lower. I prefer to shoot at max power, but that doesn't always happen, and I carry at low end hiking in timber