Nightforce NXS vs ATACR glass

odoylerules

I'm looking at getting one of these scopes for my next build. 7-300wm-Defiant hunter action, proof barrel, MPA chassis.
This will primarily be a LR hunting rig, but I will be continually be testing my limits ringing steel and busting rocks to a mile+.
I'm leaning towards SFP for my needs.
The NXS is jumping out at me because it's a half pound lighter than the similar power ATACR.
My main question...
Is the glass quality in the ATACR gonna be noticeable enough to be worth the extra weight?

ATACR glass is better than NXS glass.
SFP will suit your needs for hunting and fun on steel.
Something to keep in mind if wanting to take shots at a mile, the ATACR 5~25x56 has 120MOA of elevation compared to the 5.5~22x50 which is limited to 100MOA.
With that said, the 5.5~22x50 is a great long hunting scope.

ATACR wins in every way except weight. If you don't want to spend as much, the NXS is a great option.

Does the 34 tube vs the 30 in the NXS factor much? I know it allows more adjustment, but does it noticeably improve light transmission?

No , it doesn't effect light transmission in my opinion. It does require different rings obviously, but it doesn't matter if you are starting from scratch.

This is a nice build. I definitely don’t want to skimp on glass. I was thinking about the weight savings mostly, but noticeably better glass is worth 7 oz.
My buddy tells me I should forget the NF and buy a Schmidt and Bender. Any opinions there?
thanks

S&B are great, it just boils down to turret and reticle preference. In my opinion NF warranty and customer service is superior but you won't be disappointed either way.

ATACR wins in every way except weight. If you don't want to spend as much, the NXS is a great option.

This makes me wanna cry, based on what comparison. the NXS is by far the best hunting scope there is, with wide range of model to suit your need, with and without zero stop, with Np r1 reticle and also CH1. there is just so much to them.

I've had both and do think the atacr is a little better in the glass department. For my eyes I couldn't tell much if any difference between the atacr and pmII's either. I don't know if I would call either the nxs or atacr the "best" as that is extremely subjective. My hunting rifle wears a vx6 with the cds turret and has been repeatable in all my testing. So all the heavy alpha glass stays on the range guns.

I am in the same boat as you right now and trying to decide on a scope for next years project. If the vx6hd's come down in price a little or maybe a march, or maybe a Swarovski z6 . . .

The difference between the NXS and ATACR glass is appreciable. If I were to rate the best glass I have owned - Hensoldt 6-24x72mm at 10/10, I would rate my 7-35x ATACR at 7/10 and my NXS at 6/10 in relative terms.

This is such a monumental purchase and such an important part of the rig that it just scares the heck out of me. Has anyone that owns an NXS or VX6, VH6-HD ever had any issues with tracking. I remember a post somewhere in my reading someone did not like the way the way the focus on the NXS worked. Also great thanks for all that have given input. I know there are many, "Help me buy a scope" threads but for some of us this is not a, "Well if I don't like it I will just get something else kind of thing" not to mention they tend to go on our dream guns.

This makes me wanna cry, based on what comparison. the NXS is by far the best hunting scope there is, with wide range of model to suit your need, with and without zero stop, with Np r1 reticle and also CH1. there is just so much to them.

You need to look through some more scopes. There are several now that make the NXS look old fashioned. The NXS is durable for sure, but it has been knocked of the top of the heap several times over.

If money is tight, keep an eye on the classifieds. I bought my ATACR used , in like new condition for hundreds less than a new one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.