Nightforce NXS vs ATACR glass

I have personally spent a lot of time behind ATACR F1, NXS 5.5-22, and a VX6HD.

NO tracking issues from the leupold, it is a solid hunting scope, In my opinion the glass isn't much different from the NXS, the atacr has a notch above in crisp/clarity.

If I were pushing for another hunting build and weight was a factor, vx6 would be first on the list.

If money is tight, keep an eye on the classifieds. I bought my ATACR used , in like new condition for hundreds less than a new one.

This is a good point. If you want Nightforce optics you can save a lot of money buying used. The Nightforce resale market is flooded with guys offloading their NXS for several hundred less than retail.

It's definitely a buyers market for used Nightforce. Not long ago a guy could almost recoup near full value for a used NXS.

Tom Beckstrand, former Special Forces sniper, PRS competitor and gun writer says the ATACR (7 - 35 x 56 version) is one of THE best scopes out there at any price. (I'm assuming the other lower power ATACR scopes are all pretty **** good.)

Eric B.

I have both, a NXS 5.5-22 and an ATACR 5-25, and the ATACR glass is better. I also really like the illumination on the ATACR over the NXS.

I once saw a comparison between the Nightforce NSX 5.5 - 22 x 50 and the Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50. They said the glass was essentially equal in quality, as was the accuracy of the turret adjustments (which were "pretty good" but not perfect).

But yeah, I'd like a 35X ATACR on my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle - but the much lighter Vortex AMG on my .300 Win. mag. Browning A-Bolt.

Eric B.

Last edited:
My gunsmith works on some very high end rifles and has some clients with serious money to spend and he says that many of them are going to the ATACR scopes because the glass is "much better than the NXS's and they have much better light transmission". I know they're very expensive and out of my price range as well but if you want a no compromise scope I think the ATACR must be considered.

Personally I can see very little difference between my NXS and my SHV scopes other than the weight savings so I'm currently buying SHV's but then my scope budget is a bit tight and $1187 for a 5-20x65 SHV is a good value for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.