Nickle Plated Brass???

Another benefit of nickel plated brass is they don't corrode when carried in a leather belt. Brass brass tends to react with tanning compounds in the leather and you end up with green corrosion/oxidation.

When in the field hunting I much prefer nickel plated brass. I use nickel plated brass for 45-70 and 25-06. Never a problem.

I use nickel brass in a few chamberings. Size them rather "wet" with lube but not so much near the shoulder as to dent the dang thing. You may see neck splits on nickel brass if it sits with a bullet in it if work hardened; I've had this a bit with my 338 and fed nickel brass. You may also have to run up the load again if it was developed in brass as the neck tension will likely be a bit higher with nickel plated.

Flip, as to nickel plated straight wall, I'd use carbide and lube lightly to size after cleaning in walnut. I've shot thousands of rounds of 44, 357 and 9mm in nickel plated and they have not been much different than regular brass. Possibly even easier to clean as powder fouling can sometimes be wiped off with a rough cloth omitting tumbling. Take it easy on belling the mouth to keep nickel flaking to a minimum.

I only open them enough to insert the pill past the case mouth..I'll keep that in mind as I have some nickle 44 mag cases. Thanks Lefty,,,

I only open them enough to insert the pill past the case mouth..I'll keep that in mind as I have some nickle 44 mag cases. Thanks Lefty,,,

you bet... How's the weather over there???
We've got below zero, wind, and icy roads here... I let the Volt go back to the dealer when it came off lease, and picked up a new Camaro SS. Today was the first day I didn't feel comfortable driving it. I actually took my truck to town. I had driven over to a buddy's place and it was an exercise in vector power delivery (couldn't put power down and keep the tail in line at all), plus the tires were flat spotted from the cold. That was enough for me.

you bet... How's the weather over there???
We've got below zero, wind, and icy roads here... I let the Volt go back to the dealer when it came off lease, and picked up a new Camaro SS. Today was the first day I didn't feel comfortable driving it. I actually took my truck to town. I had driven over to a buddy's place and it was an exercise in vector power delivery (couldn't put power down and keep the tail in line at all), plus the tires were flat spotted from the cold. That was enough for me.

Young guys have to have all that stuff... I'll keep my 4 cylinder Ford........:D

We are in perpetual late fall here. Tiny bit of snow, that is it. Mostly rain and in the low 30's.

I have not loaded nickel plated brass extensively in rifle calipers but have done so with handgun. In both cases I have found case life to be shorter and case splits more frequent. For high volume shooting/reloading I prefer brass.

I use nickle plated in my 300 win mag its a little stiffer in the sizing die but never had a problem seems to last as I'm probably on load 11 or 12 gun)

It sould work fine but if your shooting a savage gun it might not eject I had a problem with my 22-250 axis.

ricke 7 my 300 win mag is a savage no problems so far .. just sayin

Last edited:
I have a 22-250 a savage told me it was because of nickel brass .
also nickel brass is brittle an can flake an scratch your dies.

The only thing i never liked about nickle plated brass was it flaking off and getting embedded in my hands/whatever else it could.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.