Nickel plated brass.

hunter66

I was able to purchase 100 rounds of once fired Winchester Nickle plated brass for my 7mm Rem Mag. When I try to full length size I could not get the bolt to close, the head space is wrong so I put a .016 shim between the shell holder and the the brass and was able to bump the shoulder back enough to close the bolt. Read some place that nickel plated brass will spring back after sizing. Any one have any thoughts on this?

all brass springs back. the biggest problem with once fired brass is you don't know what you're going to get. sounds like the chamber it was fired in was larger than yours and having to give it extra sizing is normal until you fire it in your chamber. just keep using the shim or adjust your die.

I've personally had zero issues with nickel plated brass. Your mileage may vary.

I haven't sought it out but haven't turned away from it when I've found it.

When trimming you'll really feel that it's harder, no idea if it dulls the trimmer blade excessively.

Have used it in .243, .30-30, .300 win mag, and .270 Winchester.

Have also used some to form .358 Norma mag cases from .300 win mag which involves a big neck stretch, a shoulder push back, and trimming. No flaking issues so far, no issues of any kind.

Same with forming 8x57 Mauser from 30-06. Have used some nickel plated brass. No difference, no problems so far.

My nickel plated brass seems to spring back a little bit.

My biggest issue with nickel plated brass has been nickel flakes coming off of the brass and scratching my reloading dies. Really marred up a bunch of brass after the dies got scratched
I've not had any flaking at all. I have found that if I take some 00 steel wool and twist back a forth a few times on the neck and shoulder and its clean as a whistle.

all brass springs back. the biggest problem with once fired brass is you don't know what you're going to get. sounds like the chamber it was fired in was larger than yours and having to give it extra sizing is normal until you fire it in your chamber. just keep using the shim or adjust your die.
The die is adjusted to touching, that's when I started using the shim.

Seems like it must be doable. I could try tumbling them for a little bit following sizing and deburring/chamfering. I'd have to clear flash holes and add a step to my priming, but that's no big deal.

My son-in-law likes his bling brass for his 7mag I haven't had any of the flaky problems but I can definitely tell a difference in how it sizes. Always seems to be harder.
Next go around on his stuff I am going to run it through the annealer and see if that helps.
Anyone here anneal nickel brass?

I regulary use nickle brass in my 223, 45 Colt and 45acp(when i can get it), 30-06, 308, and have used it in my 7MM mag. I have never experienced any of the issues you, or any of the responders have noted.
And I especially prefer nickle brass in my handguns..