Annealing Nickel Plated Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CaptnC, Jul 16, 2018.

1. CaptnC

CaptnC Well-Known Member

I'v never seen any one mention annealing nickel coated brass.

Can you anneal it?

The bulk of the 300wsm brass I pick up is nickel plated. I'm getting about 5 firings before the neck splits.

2. TexSavage

TexSavage Well-Known Member

I have been annealing nickel 300wsm brass for about two years. Prior to that I had 8 reloads on original loaded factory brass. All the brass is probably 8 years old. No problems yet.

CaptnC likes this.
  3. CaptnC

CaptnC Well-Known Member

I guess I will give it a try.

Tex are you using one of the annealing machines or just using a hand held torch?

4. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

I used to anneal Federal Trophy Grade nickel 338WM brass, it is essentially the same as annealing normal brass, the only thing is, the nickel starts flaking off the more you anneal it.
    It also scratches your dies when it flakes off. I avoid nickel cases for this reason.

Cheers.
    :(

biggen and dok7mm like this.
  5. CaptnC

CaptnC Well-Known Member

It looks pretty but I'm not convicted its such a great idea to try to anneal that brass.

I have a near 50yo Herter's case trimmer and it chews the case mouth more than cuts it...it cleans up nicely but you can tell a difference when trimming cases.

6. TexSavage

TexSavage Well-Known Member

I use the manual annealing method using a socket, cordless screw driver, torch and tempilaq 750. I've been reading about the molten salts method and I am very tempted to try it.

7. CaptnC

CaptnC Well-Known Member

Me too Tex...I'm using the same method you do...