Nickle Plated Brass???

Nimrodmar10

Just got in a new Rem. 700 XCR Long Range Tactical on 300 WM. I've been loading for this caliber for years. In my searching for reloading supplies I found 5 boxes of loaded Winchester Fail Safe 180 grain bullets with the nickel plated cases. What I'm wondering is what everyone here thinks of nickle plated brass for reloading. I've reloaded it before in 222, 280 Rem and 243. I've never had any problems with it except when I trim it for the first time. I'm just wondering if I should bother with it since it's on hand or should I stick with regular brass. Also who makes the best 300 WM brass?

I've always avoided nickel brass due to concerns about scratching dies and chambers with any amount of dirt/sand. I would also not expect to get as many reloads from it before cracks and separation. ...but, no first hand experience.

I have had good results with Win brass for 300 WM.

I believe Norma OEM'd some for Lapua once upon a time. But, I've never found any.

-- richard

I have found none of the issues that most talk about. I have loaded rem nickel brass for 4 yrs for my 7mm rem. But I don't load for comp just hunting. I have gotten 5 loads out of a group of 20 so far . As for the dies. No issues and I use Lee for my 7mm. happy loading.

When sizing nickle cases, it was recommended to use carbide dies instead of steel sets. In RCBS dies, the carbides come in the grey boxes and cost a bit more.

I was given several hundred pieces of 300 Weatherby nickle brass, believe its Remington. Given the cost of Weatherby brass I used it. The biggest issue I experienced is the force it takes to resize. I use a Forster Co-Ax press, polished Redding dies and Imperial wax and its takes a lot of force, scary amount compared to my normal Norma brass. Other than that it loaded fine and shot fine obviously a little brass shows around neck after trimming and deburing. I am only on load two with it, as I said was give a lot of this stuff.

Oh, I do deprime and tumble prior to sizing.

I've never had any problems with the nickle plated brass that I've loaded to 270 WSM. It does seem to be a harder brass but it cleans up easy and quick.

I purchased nickel for my 300 Wby, I think I'm still on my first batch of 20. I must have 5 reloads on them. They do seem to take a bit more force to resize. I use Hornady Custom dies, had them 10+ years? Do most of you use 180 gr bullets? My Sierra program seems to indicate a 200 gr bullet is a bit better. I have considering going to that, since I need .308 bullets and go lighter for 30.06.lightbulb

Redhead, I have loaded in the 300 Wby everything from 165 Sirocco's to 230 Sierra. I wanted to settle in on the Berger 210 Hunting VLD; however, my barrel likes the Berger 190 Hunting VLD under .5 MOA, so choosing accuracy first this is what I went with. Experiment, you will prefer the heavier projectiles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.