New "to me" made in Montana monolithic bullets ...

Here is my personal experience and opinion on the cbb.

I tried the 168 in a 308 gas gun and wasn't happy with speed or accuracy, he also had a 165 non tipped version a while back and I had similar results.

I do shoot his 195 mkz subs in my 8.5" 300bo pistol but I had to try 4 powders and change coal to find a good load but I'm happy with those for my purposes. ( they supposedly expand down to 600fps)

As far as the "cavity back" goes--- I wish he would change his wording.....I'll explain: Robert's bullet nose design isn't anything different, that means that it's the rear of the bullet that is modified (hence the cavity)---- but copper has a certain density (physics won't allow changes in that)---- if you keep it the same weight but put a hole in the base, then you have to extend the "tail " to retain the weight--- so a 168gr cavity back would still take up the same case capacity as a 168 non cavity back as long as the nose design and coal don't change---- so you can't fit any extra powder in the case no matter what the base looks like, it still takes up the same volume. I don't think the cbb are lathe turned iirc.

I feel he should have said the cavity lightens the bullet slightly over a non cavity design thus allowing slightly more case capacity.....so his 168 design allows more capacity than an identical 175 non cavity design (with the same nose profile and coal)

The cavity MAY act similar to a rebated boat tail though in regards to how the gasses react to its design but I havent seen any proof of this anywhere I can find.

If you use his bullets, I recommend using like weight reload data for barnes bullets as I could never push his bullets as fast as like weight lead core bullets (in my limited trials)

I'm pretty sure Zen A has used his 6.5 bullets in his Grendel, maybe he will chime in too with more actual first hand knowledge ( on 68f - " Texas lawman" has used them too, he had some vids of his results too)

I would love to see side by side of hammer and cbb---- but the hammer uses a pedals off design, and the cbb uses an expanding pedal design so they have different designs in regards to expansion and wound trauma....it would be cool to see side by side gel block tests and max speed tests to draw our own conclusions

Here is my personal experience and opinion on the cbb.

I tried the 168 in a 308 gas gun and wasn't happy with speed or accuracy, he also had a 165 non tipped version a while back and I had similar results.

I do shoot his 195 mkz subs in my 8.5" 300bo pistol but I had to try 4 powders and change coal to find a good load but I'm happy with those for my purposes. ( they supposedly expand down to 600fps)

As far as the "cavity back" goes--- I wish he would change his wording.....I'll explain: Robert's bullet nose design isn't anything different, that means that it's the rear of the bullet that is modified (hence the cavity)---- but copper has a certain density (physics won't allow changes in that)---- if you keep it the same weight but put a hole in the base, then you have to extend the "tail " to retain the weight--- so a 168gr cavity back would still take up the same case capacity as a 168 non cavity back as long as the nose design and coal don't change---- so you can't fit any extra powder in the case no matter what the base looks like, it still takes up the same volume. I don't think the cbb are lathe turned iirc.

I feel he should have said the cavity lightens the bullet slightly over a non cavity design thus allowing slightly more case capacity.....so his 168 design allows more capacity than an identical 175 non cavity design (with the same nose profile and coal)

The cavity MAY act similar to a rebated boat tail though in regards to how the gasses react to its design but I havent seen any proof of this anywhere I can find.

If you use his bullets, I recommend using like weight reload data for barnes bullets as I could never push his bullets as fast as like weight lead core bullets (in my limited trials)

I'm pretty sure Zen A has used his 6.5 bullets in his Grendel, maybe he will chime in too with more actual first hand knowledge ( on 68f - " Texas lawman" has used them too, he had some vids of his results too)

I would love to see side by side of hammer and cbb---- but the hammer uses a pedals off design, and the cbb uses an expanding pedal design so they have different designs in regards to expansion and wound trauma....it would be cool to see side by side gel block tests and max speed tests to draw our own conclusions
Excellent post. I wish I could spend all day testing bullets in gel blocks! LOL

what velocities are you running, not familiar with the Max?
All a 7 max is, is a 7 SAUM AI in simple terms, only "Sherman improved", so a very small amount less body taper than an Ackley. Same 40° shoulder, same crush fit with the parent case, designed to shoot factory ammo/brass to form, etc. Only now, ADG is making formed, head stamped brass for it.

In my wife's 20", we are running the 175 ELD-X @2907 fps using VV N565. However that is a top end node, worked it up right before season as the gun was a little late getting finished. It shoots really well but is right at max pressure. 2850ish would probably be a better loading for brass life. As stated, I plan on changing it prior to next season and getting a more long term load.

Sorry for the lane change. Good to see you back WildRose!

Love 'em Kolaches, especially the ones from West, TX, and Ellinger.
Best Kolache's I've ever had were in small towns up and down Highway 6 and 36 between Stephenville and College station.

That's saying a lot since where I've spent the last 20 years is well noted as a "Czech Community".

Love those things.

Come down to Hallettsville TX for the Kolache festival a 4 day weekend of kolaches, BBQ, beer drinking and a bunch of Bohemians playing dominos listening to umpah-pah music

Come down to Hallettsville TX for the Kolache festival a 4 day weekend of kolaches, BBQ, beer drinking and a bunch of Bohemians playing dominos listening to umpah-pah music
I am going to Halletsville this Thursday

That's a pretty fair stretch from either up here or my new digs down near Big Bend or I'd consider it.

Have one of each for me.

That's a pretty fair stretch from either up here or my new digs down near Big Bend or I'd consider it.

Have one of each for me.
Weikel's Bakery with shops in La Grange, Brenham and Carmine, will ship to you anwywhere. I used to work next to them in La Grange in 1995. Stopped there every morning. I have a little place in Smithville, and I stop at the Carmine store all the time

Agree completely. I also like the SSTs.
All I've shot are the 110's and the SSA JHP's which I think are 90or 100gr. Fine on small hogs but I want a bonded bullet on anything large and nasty.

I've had all the fun and excitement I need in my lifetime when walking up on a really big boar or sow that suddenly perked back up and had both some really fine dogs and myself cut up as a result.

In the early nineties we killed one that we scaled at a bit over 640 that with five solid hits in the chest from a 44mag still ripped one of my dogs from the corner of her mouth to her offside flank opening her up like a surgeon's scalpel in the blink of an eye. It took me nearly six hours to put her back together that night. Forgetting everything else, that would be a five to ten thousand dollar trip to the emergency vet today.

I don't just want dangerous animals dead, I want them really and permanently dead when I walk up on them.

Excellent post. I wish I could spend all day testing bullets in gel blocks! LOL
Just shoot lots of pigs. They give very reliable data.

1641863870222.png

Weikel's Bakery with shops in La Grange, Brenham and Carmine, will ship to you anwywhere. I used to work next to them in La Grange in 1995. Stopped there every morning. I have a little place in Smithville, and I stop at the Carmine store all the time

There used to be a place in Sommerville I stopped pretty regularly right at the split of the highway out by the old railroad bridge. I think it was in a little 1920's built gas station.

I could hurt myself eating those things. I tried to limit myself to one sausage and two of the fruit or cream cheese versions each trip.

Clifton, just north of Waco on 6 was my other favorite place to stop.

Melt in your mouth kind of good.