Texas made monolithic bullets ...

My Sig 1911's are Among my "Sunday Go to Town" and "Gotta dress up and look professional tonight" carry guns.

They are too danged pretty for daily carry doing blue collar things, for that I rely on my XD's and XDM's.
I generally carry a Taurus Tracker in .44mag, loaded with specials.

If the BC's are actually accurate those will be some VERY popular bullets. I'll be interested to see what comes of it and will certainly be ordering some to test when they are available.
Looks similar to a couple other offerings.
I don't care for tipped designs personally
Relying on tips for expansion. My experience with other tipped bullets was they were prone to failure. They may increase the bc but at the expense of inconsistent terminal performance negating
The bc gains. Always trade offs.
Also the restrictions on advised loading
Procedure doesn't work for my use with this offering. Some projectiles I'd consider testing for use, but probably going to pass on this one. Personal preference.
YRMV.

Last edited:
I generally carry a Taurus Tracker in .44mag, loaded with specials.
I have a couple of 5 shot trackers, one in 44 and one in .41. I've made ridiculously long shot with both.

I occasionally set my pistol clients up to challenge themselves to see just how far back from a standard silhouette target they can score a single disbling shot. I never try to show off because it frequently bites you in the but but among friends I took the challenge myself with the 6" Tracker 44.

I made it to 287 feet before putting one out of "the zone".

Taurus makes fine revolvers.

I like Glenlivet.
You should also try 12 and 20 yo Glen Moray and Glennmorangie as well then.

I had a client for many years, a senior guy with a very large investment bank who was based in London for many years.

Every year he'd bring us a new, older Scotch to try.

His last year he brought one bottled in clay, sealed in wax and all you could read on it was the dated, 1683.

The stash had been found during the renovation of a very old Scottish Castles.

He bought it at auction and I refuse to even think what he paid for it.

Every evening after we cleaned birds the three of us would have a Cuban and a Manly portion of Scotch while the fire burned down so I could cook supper on mesquite coals as we watched the sunset behind the hill just west of the house.

I lived my life backwards so that when I got to this age and condition I'd have decades of good memories to fall back on instead of regrets because I didn't take the time to enjoy my life.

Relying on tips for expansion. My experience with other tipped bullets was they were prone to failure. They may increase the bc but at the expense of inconsistent terminal performance negating
Procedure doesn't work for my use with this offering. Some projectiles I'd consider testing for use, but probably going to pass on this one. Personal preference.
I'm the opposite, I want them tipped for consistency. and easy feeding.

Well,
I shoot a LOT of jlc tipped bullets and copper tipped bullets, and have seen stellar accuracy and on game performance from Barnes TTSX/LRX, Badlands Bulldozer/Bulldozer 2, Cutting Edge Lazer, Federal Ascent, Nosler Accubond & ABLR, Mead Ioxus, Chinchaga ST-RBT and a bunch of common others , I have no reason to poopoo on tipped bullets as they have worked so well for me ...

My usual m.o. is to get the bullets and shoot them myself and let the results sway my personal opinions .....

as such...
I've reached out to Apex & pulled the trigger .... As I've done with other bullet manufacturers before ....

υψηλής ταχύτητας summus velocitas rules my friends

C27ABDB4-8F6A-4FA7-8C41-A51982D1FA0D.jpeg

Last edited:
YRMV.

I haven't personally had any issues with tipped bullets, is there a specific brand of tipped bullet you've seen fail?

I've had a chance to use some pre-production 153gr Apex bullets in two different guns so far (30-06 and 300 RUM), and I didn't actually follow the suggested loading procedure in either gun. I just trimmed all the brass to the same length and sized the cases with the expander removed from the die. Using a bushing die to control neck tension would accomplish the same thing. I picked a powder charge based on published data for a similar weight Barnes TTSX, focusing more on powders with a slightly faster burn rate. I seated the bullets to the recommended seating depth, then I applied a slight roll crimp to each round. I don't like messing around with the factory crimp dies unless I have to, so I skipped that step in both guns.

The Apex bullets shot as well as, or better than, other premium bullets in both guns. I planned on hunting with them last season, but my hunting season (and a lot of other things!) got put on hold when a heart attack rudely interrupted my plans! LOL I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot some coyotes with them in a few weeks if I can coordinate schedules with a local rancher.

I haven't personally had any issues with tipped bullets, is there a specific brand of tipped bullet you've seen fail?

I've had a chance to use some pre-production 153gr Apex bullets in two different guns so far (30-06 and 300 RUM), and I didn't actually follow the suggested loading procedure in either gun. I just trimmed all the brass to the same length and sized the cases with the expander removed from the die. Using a bushing die to control neck tension would accomplish the same thing. I picked a powder charge based on published data for a similar weight Barnes TTSX, focusing more on powders with a slightly faster burn rate. I seated the bullets to the recommended seating depth, then I applied a slight roll crimp to each round. I don't like messing around with the factory crimp dies unless I have to, so I skipped that step in both guns.

The Apex bullets shot as well as, or better than, other premium bullets in both guns. I planned on hunting with them last season, but my hunting season (and a lot of other things!) got put on hold when a heart attack rudely interrupted my plans! LOL I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot some coyotes with them in a few weeks if I can coordinate schedules with a local rancher.
It is always nice to hear about your real-world experience with the bullet.

I am sorry to hear about the heart attack. I hope all is well now. Cheers!