Monolithic Bullet Poll

Which Manufacturer of Monolithic bullets are you using for hunting deer to elk sized game?

• Barnes

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • Cutting Edge

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Badlands Precision

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Hammer

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • PVA

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Hornady

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other: Comment below

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

Lovellr653

I am putting together a 300PRC hunting rifle based on a Terminus Kratos with a 22" 1:8 twist barrel. I will be using a Hawkins Hunter DBM so my COAL is limited due to the internal mag length of ~3.770. I have been using Barnes TTSX in other hunting rifles but want to see what you all are using for mono's these days. I figured a poll will be a good way to test the waters. Thanks in advance.

I voted for hammer because that is what I am currently using. I have about 100 of the cayuga 7mm 170 Gr bullets to try out in my 7 MAX but Havnt done so yet. The BC is quite intriguing with these. Hammers perform phenomenally on game but I will be looking forward to their high BC version when it comes out. If not then I may go to cayuga or cutting edge to try them.

I have used Barnes TTSX and I am also working up loads for Hammers.

Barnes have done well on a couple cow elk for a buddy and I at close range. I am also working a load for my 257 weatherby with 128gr Hammers, and a load for my son's 7mm-08 with 140gr Absolute Hammers.

The 257 load is basically done I think. This is a 500 yard group.

Attachments

• 20221230_095300.jpg
    20221230_095300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
I'm really happy with the Apex bullets right now. They check a lot of boxes and seem to combine the best elements of a few popular monometals out there. I have them loaded in a few different 7mm and.30 cals, and I'm finishing up testing them in some 6.5mm, .277, and .338s with great results.

I load Hammers in the 6mm and 375s with absolutely no complaints.

I have used Barnes TTSX and I am also working up loads for Hammers.

Barnes have done well on a couple cow elk for a buddy and I at close range. I am also working a load for my 257 weatherby with 128gr Hammers, and a load for my son's 7mm-08 with 140gr Absolute Hammers.

The 257 load is basically done I think. This is a 500 yard group.
Well done!

Currently Cutting Edge and Badlands are my preferred and in that order.

I've tried several Hammers and they have been hit or miss for me. Enough so that I'm not interested at over $1 per bullet of trying to force them to work. Cutting Edge Lazers have been ridiculously easy to tune for me so far.

I could only vote for two, but I use Barnes, Badlands and Hammers. No issues with any of them. They all kill animals as dead as the next bullet.

I have used Barnes, although only a few times. They worked.

I have used Hornady GMX more extensively on whitetails, I have never had much blood trail but again, they worked.

I'm switching my hunting rifle and at least two family members over to hammers this year. I think I may have shot one whitetail with one int he past, my brother has shot a couple. Like to support the little guys, especially those who provide such awesome customer service and who you can actually talk to. Hammer on!

Currently Cutting Edge and Badlands are my preferred and in that order.

I've tried several Hammers and they have been hit or miss for me. Enough so that I'm not interested at over $1 per bullet of trying to force them to work. Cutting Edge Lazers have been ridiculously easy to tune for me so far.

I'm curious about the CE Lazers and the BL BZII bullets. With no relief grooves; do you see early signs of pressure? Can you achieve similar velocities to monos that have relief grooves?

I'm curious about the CE Lazers and the BL BZII bullets. With no relief grooves; do you see early signs of pressure? Can you achieve similar velocities to monos that have relief grooves?
The CE Lazer appears to be a bore rider design. It just has a very small band around it to create a gas seal. I've not noticed any additional pressure signs over any other mono that I have shot.

The Badlands has just one large relief groove in it that is more subtle than say the cuts in a Barnes or Hammer bullet. That said I normally use higher start pressures in QL when working up loads but it's not seemed to be necessary.

The McGuire ballistic bullet is a unique design that sets itself apart from the others and works well in my one kill with them. It was quite the test though. They shoot amazing

I voted hammer and Barnes, in that order.

I must personally discourage the use of the hornady gmx/cx bullets and the Nosler e-tip (wasn't even on your radar, maybe I shouldn't have brought it up).

Hammer seems to be the best of both worlds emphasizing broad wounding with all the penetrating benefits of a mono. Barnes is the first mono to make it big and perfect their product for a long time, they know what they're doing.

The two bullets i discouraged seem be a sure thing for deep penetration but I'd have zero confidence in how emphatically they'd kill, seem way too tough and narrow wounding.