New "to me" made in Montana monolithic bullets ...

@lancetkenyon
@nksmfamjp
@Swamplord
@codyadams

Here's the e-mail I got from Robert this AM.

Robert CBB .284 cal bullets.jpg

I asked for an estimated time frame and the twist requirements and will share the information as soon as I hear from him. My apologies if I missed somebody interested in .28 cal.

Ed

@lancetkenyon
@nksmfamjp
@Swamplord
@codyadams

Here's the e-mail I got from Robert this AM.

View attachment 329416

I asked for an estimated time frame and the twist requirements and will share the information as soon as I hear from him. My apologies if I missed somebody interested in .28 cal.

Ed

Curious about necessary twist rates. I'm suspecting they'll need to be a turn or turn and a half faster than for equal weight "conventional mono's" without the cavity.

Curious about necessary twist rates. I'm suspecting they'll need to be a turn or turn and a half faster than for equal weight "conventional mono's" without the cavity.
I too am curious how the cavity affects
Stability & bc at distance.
With the design geared toward addressing
a gas gun & cartridge volume issue.
Not sure it's advantageous outside of its
Intended design. It'll be interesting to see
Feedback tho.

I too am curious how the cavity affects
Stability & bc at distance.
With the design geared toward addressing
a gas gun & cartridge volume issue.
Not sure it's advantageous outside of its
Intended design. It'll be interesting to see
Feedback tho.
Right off the bat I see the cavity creating a serious issue with sectional density and stability.

SD is a big part of the equation when calculating BC's.

I have no reason to pee on these rounds, I'm just voicing legitimate concerns.

I hate to see people waste their money on things that don't' work for them.

Shooting less than 300-400yds, probably not a big deal accuracy wise, but it could certainly affect penetration which is largely dependent on SD. The highest SD bullets are generally the best penetrating bullets on game.

And my buddy shoots a 450lb boar with a South African military surplus FMJ out of a Russian VEPR 308! FML!
I won't say how large my largest ever was but I was glad I had the 375 Ruger.

He soaked up a "Texas Heart Shot" running straight away at 350 then finally ran out of gas and turned sideways at about 500 where I finished him with a second.

His one Tusk was over 6".

Bullet entered about 2" below the anus and finally stopped in his sternum and retained if I remember right about 95% of it's weight.

I won't say how large my largest ever was but I was glad I had the 375 Ruger.

He soaked up a "Texas Heart Shot" running straight away at 350 then finally ran out of gas and turned sideways at about 500 where I finished him with a second.

His one Tusk was over 6".

Bullet entered about 2" below the anus and finally stopped in his sternum and retained if I remember right about 95% of it's weight.
What bullet?

I have not used the Peregrine bullets but in researching them I found this.
"Peregrine Bullets offers a ballistic equivalent, Peregrine Match Bullet (VRG5), as a complementary companion to the Peregrine PlainsMaster. Peregrine Match differs from the Peregrine PlainsMaster in that it is a solid monolithic, red copper bullet, which is ballistically equivalent to the Peregrine PlainsMaster. The Peregrine Match reloading bullet can therefore be utilized as a less costly alternative for load development, target shooting or competition shooting".
Very smart marketing and innovative indeed.
You sight in with the match and hunt with confidence in your hunting bullet.
Very nice!
Does this sound correct WildRose?

"Peregrine Bullets offers a ballistic equivalent, Peregrine Match Bullet (VRG5), as a complementary companion to the Peregrine PlainsMaster. Peregrine Match differs from the Peregrine PlainsMaster in that it is a solid monolithic, red copper bullet, which is ballistically equivalent to the Peregrine PlainsMaster. The Peregrine Match reloading bullet can therefore be utilized as a less costly alternative for load development, target shooting or competition shooting".
Very nice!
I'm not Rose but you are spot on, Rose will tell you all about them

Very nice!
It indeed is and I mentioned it but it's definitely worth another mention.

The match bullets are solids and don't require the same kind of tricky machining as the cavity of the hunting bullets.

There cavity is actually Stepped and the rod holding the tip in place has an air gap below it and there's an air gap just below the tip itself around the shaft.

When that tip makes contact they are forced back under tremendous pressure essentially forcing an explosion of compressed air that ensures it opens every time even on smaller think skinned game.

Generally expansion looks like a stove pipe effect and may not be real obvious till you put the micrometer to work. More often than not there is a thin flat mushroom that forms but even blow that the bullet is "swollen" if it makes any kind of good contact.

6.5's will regularly expand to 8 or 10 MM at the tip tapering back towards the base.

I've shot the CBB 118's in a two Creedmoor's for the last two hunting seasons. I can't get them to shoot better than .75" and they won't shoot in either gun over 2750 FPS. They spray when you get over that velocity. I've killed 5 deer with them and they perform on game very well. They are made in Georgia, not Montana by Maker Bullets.