New to me issue with brass

I appreciate all the comments. The data I am using is from the Hornady guide for that particular bullet. Those loads are coming out at 2925 ft per second already so they are a pretty fast bullet. It is happening at the chamber, not resizing. I am going to go up a bit on the charge and check again. Are these cases safe to use again?

Thanks again,

Grub
I would also run them through the annealer if you have one.

Here is the load data from the Hornady App:

View attachment 379232

you're right , it's a published load , but to light for your rifle . heck this app is showing max , about where I'd say minimum should be .

when I run a generic 300 win mag with your powder and bullet , 64 grains is a very light load . that's as good as I can do without having all the particulars of your set up .

with you getting the dents , that's a sure sign your load is to light . when you get the pressure up , it will iron out the dents .

Because I have a thirst for learning, I found this reference
This effect is described in detail in a case study on PP. 341-2 of DWJ (Deutsches Waffen Journal) 3/1983. Now I'll have to find it

When I get dents from too much lube it's not consistent dents, and they can be "wavy". The dents I see in the pictures are pretty consistent. So unless the lube was consistent in excessive volume I would rule that out. Also it can be dangerous to load under min load manual charge weights as well as over the max charges. I'd stick within load manual charge weights. Just my two cents from the peanut gallery.

Its interesting that none of my loading manuals list H4350 for that combination. Hodgdon website will show for 175 and 180, and depnding one which one you select, could be either below or above minimum.
I tend to start a little below max my self and work up. That's probably why I have never seen it

4350 is fine but you re way down on the load pressure, amount. Try going up a bit, you re a long way from any book max loads. ( low 70 gr range)

This is for a Hornady ELD-X 178 grain bullet. Their manual lists the lowest charge at 58 grains up to 67.9. The load in question was for 64.0 grains. It was the most accurate out of all of my test loads. I will be going up this weekend.

Thanks,

Grub
Ditto! According to my Nosler ( it's what was closest) manual 66 grains is the recommended lowest loads and the OP is loading @ 62 grains,