New to me issue with brass

Grubby

Good afternoon,

I have been reloading for a few years and have not had any issues like I am seeing in my new gun. I am looking for a little expert advice. I am loading 64 grains of H4350 in my Bergara 300 Win Mag shooting 178 grain Hornady ELDX with a Federal 215 Primer. In the 3rd reload with these cases, I started getting the following dents In the neck/case. This is by no means over max load. Also, these pieces of brass have not been annealed.

C49A8164-6D76-4DC6-B0A9-10C26E903FEF.jpeg

In doing some research, it is possible that I am loading too close to the lans and not giving the brass enough time to expand out creating a pressure issue. I am not an expert by any means and I am hoping that someone can give me some good advice or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any and all information.

Respectfully,

are these coming out of the rifle like this , or after you resize them ?

if they are coming out of the gun like this ;
these are dents caused by low pressure . you need to up the powder charge . did you get this load from a book ? it's light . it looks like min load is around 68 or 69.

if this is happening after you run them through the resizing die , they are lube dents . try to not get lube on the case shoulder .

either way , that's a light load .

Last edited:
Are those cases before or after FL sizing?
If after, it is from too much lube. Clean your dies. You cannot compress a liquid, so the lube is denting the brass.

If before sizing, from low underpressure. But you should also have soot on the neck/shoulder, and those look awfully clean to be gas blowback.

Are those cases before or after FL sizing?
If after, it is from too much lube. Clean your dies. You cannot compress a liquid, so the lube is denting the brass.

If before sizing, from low underpressure. But you should also have soot on the neck/shoulder, and those look awfully clean to be gas blowback.
Agree with Lance and Jim, if after resizing, could be too much lube. I have also seen it in media tumblers if too many cases in the tumbler

Good afternoon,

I have been reloading for a few years and have not had any issues like I am seeing in my new gun. I am looking for a little expert advice. I am loading 64 grains of H4350 in my Bergara 300 Win Mag shooting 178 grain Hornady ELDX with a Federal 215 Primer. In the 3rd reload with these cases, I started getting the following dents In the neck/case. This is by no means over max load. Also, these pieces of brass have not been annealed.

View attachment 379138
In doing some research, it is possible that I am loading too close to the lans and not giving the brass enough time to expand out creating a pressure issue. I am not an expert by any means and I am hoping that someone can give me some good advice or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any and all information.

Respectfully,
highly doubtful... If this is during the firing cycle you either are getting poor gas seal from stiff brass that needs annealing and/or are at rather low pressure that is letting a bit of gas past the neck before the neck expands to seal. The only time I've ever gotten a dent like that on a 300win is using mild loads with fast powder like 4895 and light bullets; pretty much perfect storm for bad gas seal.
If you are getting these dents during the sizing cycle then don't get nearly as much lube on the forward third or so of the case.
4350 is plenty slow to run in a 300win and has been used as an accuracy powder for decades. Most are using a bit slower powder now days especially with 180gr. + bullet weights to get a bit more speed but 4350 will work.

Blow up the picture look right in the shoulder neck joint you can see the remnants of small pieces of carbon the cases have already been cleaned
Interesting, the one with a black line, hard to see a dimple. So, let me understand this, we use COW, no bullet to seal around, to fireform, and we can get dimples like this from underpressure. I still would like somoene to explain the physics