New to reloading...issue with FL RCBS die

MontanaRifleman,
I set my dies by measuring the fired cases with a RCBS Precisiin Mic, this is a precise measuring tool, and no, your technique as I outlined is NOT FL SIZING, it is PARTIAL SIZING. This is how I get .002" shoulder bump and the 'feel' when closing the bolt. This is called PARTIAL SIZING.
This was the point I was trying to make, you may think that the upteen posts you made about your method of sizing cases was informative and helpful, obviously wasn't to the OP, because he still had the same trouble.
I don't care what method you or I use to size our cases, the OP needed to understand that a case fired in another rifle will almost always need to be sized as the INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO BRING THE CASE BACK TO FACTORY SPECS SO THAT IT WILL FIT ANY CHAMBER. Even +.003" in shoulder length will cause hard chambering in most bolt actions.
Again, telling the OP how YOU do it did not help his situation and was just nonsense. Just because none of your rifles have minimum chambers DOES NOT mean that your technique is the right or wrong one, in many cases your technique works, but not in every situation, I have chambers that need to have .010" machined off the shellholder to reduce the case enough to chamber, do you think your technique would work for this situation? I could put a .010" feeler gauge under the case to achieve the same thing, but this is tedious when loading 100 or more cases.

Good luck to you sir.

gun)

Actually, my 3 latest rifles DO have minimum chambers, and if you go back and read my posts, I had 3 dies lapped .010 off the bottom (vs lapping the shell holder), 2 for my 6-284, a FL die and a custom FL bushing die, and a Redding Type S FL Bushing die for my 6.5 WSM. I still need to cam over slightly when using those dies for those chambers.

I was unaware that the OP was using brass fired from 2 different rifles until much later in the thread. I agree that he should probably take steps to get the brass back to a common baseline and I think annealing would be a very beneficial part of the process in doing so. However, I am not sure that they need to be sized back to factory dimensions.

I do not rely on good luck.... thank you sir :)

A lot of information here to read, but dies can be cut wrong, or the chamber work is on the short side of minimum dimensions. Either way I either try a different die or send the die back to RCBS with two once fire form cases and they will correct the issue.

I just sent back a die from Redding that was out of spec, and bought another die that worked beautifully. Those things can and do happen..... look at every 280 AI that was made before 2011 by Redding, they were the wildcat version, not the SAAMI version.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.