New to the Game. Need help with resizing issue!!

Hey guys, I tried the set of new dies I ordered. They were the Lee Deluxe 3 die set. I sized the cases I previously attempted as well as cases that had not yet been sized. All have worked perfectly in my gun. Thanks for everyone help. I appreciate the time everyone spent researching my problem.

You dont,read the posts,this guy is ata beginner stage, and has brass,sounds like barely fit chamber or not. I have neck dies,bushing dies,full,etc.I load as you suggested,and have tools to measure. I dont believe OP,HAS THIS KNOWLEDGE. When the press does not have a positive stop,usually the sizing accuracy is off some,or more or less lube, speed of press stroke.If you check every case you know this and it is hard to get consistent,That is why they make a shell holder kit with varing thickness bases for that purpose.The press flex is not as repeatable , as when taken to a positive stop.The brass varies as you can feel the difference when sizing.

Sorry. Just thought as a beginner, might want to be a little more careful with issues such as excessive headspace, etc. Although from the sounds of it, it would be the opposite.

Thanks for the clarification.

Glad the Lee Dies helped your problem. Be aware they didn't cure it..... You said you tried 'GO' and 'NO-GO' gauges and that the 'GO' gauge was "snug". This indicates a head-space issue. Your cartridge head-spaces on the shoulder and if the chamber is not sized deep enough (cut) by the reamer the 'GO' gauge will contact the bolt face a little to snugly. As another poster pointed out, this is a WHOLE lot better then having your bolt close on a 'NO-GO' gauge. Have a Gunsmith make a casting of your chamber.... it sounds like your replacement barrel has a tad short chamber. It's an easy quick fix once you know HOW short so he can run his chamber reamer in the correct depth. Live and learn. When in doubt try a new factory round. A sizing die might have been made to maximum tolerance while your barrel could have been chambered with an unused minimum tolerance reamer. Reloading is NOT to be taken lightly or with ANY distractions going on. Reload for ACCURACY, not for maximum speed. There are many BOLD reloaders and a few OLD reloders. I have noticed the absence however of the BOLD-OLD reloaders. Keep your powder dry...:)

Happy to share our thoughts on the subject. My worry is that one obvious issue could indicate other hidden issues.... we all need our 'Special Gunsmith' that has the training and experience to be aware of the unknown (read unseen) problems that are possible when altering any firearms components. Keep your powder dry.gun)

1. full length sized case, bolt won't close and measure 0.012" longer than fired unsized. Yea brass is flowing to the neck and needs trimming.

2. Partial sizing using full length die, bolt closes with some resistance, this is what I look for with full length dies, (as long as it's light resistance)

3.New 3die set by Lee, everything works good, Does this particular set include the Lee Colet Neck die?

Glad you got it worked out :cool:, Lesson learned - Treat your cases as if they are fire formed to YOUR rifle, and only THAT chamber and size accordingly. :)

Yes, I have a Lee Collet neck sizing die. I necked sized cases Sunday and got to shoot my first 3 shot group reloads that evening . Everything was good and got a.75 group with no casualties!!! Thanks for your help.

As a side comment on the brass in the pic., why are you chamfering sooo much? All you need is just a fraction of what you have done.
I would suggest you get a rotary drum with SS pins to get a better clean. Hot water, Dawn soap and lemon shine and 45 min with SS pins and you get like my pic.

Like a previous post a slight lube of inside neck and button will remove easily and not distort the shoulder. I use RCBS II which is water soluble so you don't contaminate any powder. How much?
Put some on a plastic lid - touch neck to lube, that's enough. If you get a dent in shoulder you are using too much on neck or sides.

Attachments

• tumbler.JPG
    tumbler.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 29