New squirrel rifle

Bark'em, does that mean the 375 round goes thru an oak limb ,with far side bark causing collateral damage to the squirrel?

That is an option…..but, not the most optimal one! 😉

When I used to hunt with my .308 Win (155 gr. cast)…..just clip the top of the limb they were lying on, the exploding bark would do enough damage to incapacitate or kill the squirrel 🙀 making recovery easy. You do get some pretty good bruising and some flesh/bone damage! 😜 memtb

I accidentally barked one off the side of an oak tree. The .17 WSM 20gr bullet hit right under his chin. It was a sidewise shot of about 80 yards and an offhand shot. Yes, an accidental shot, as I was naturally shooting at the squirrel's head. Squirrel was DOA.

As soon as the squirrel was blown sideways off the tree, I was confused as to why the squirrel sailed in that direction.

Below is another near miss with the same rifle. Just a graze shot, but lethal.

Attachments

• 239459446_3984561408312402_6219546301192152184_n.jpg
    239459446_3984561408312402_6219546301192152184_n.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 76
I accidentally barked one off the side of an oak tree. The .17 WSM 20gr bullet hit right under his chin. It was a sidewise shot of about 80 yards and an offhand shot. Yes, an accidental shot, as I was naturally shooting at the squirrel's head. Squirrel was DOA.

As soon as the squirrel was blown sideways off the tree, I was confused as to why the squirrel sailed in that direction.

Below is another near miss with the same rifle. Just a graze shot, but lethal.

While it appears as only a graze…..I bet it was quite a blow! Kinda like getting slapped with a hammer! memtb

We rabid squirrel hunters are always looking for the next best rifle we must get. For some of us, it involves a higher power scope and rifle, leaving .22 rifles in the dust.

As soon as the .17 HMR hit the news and for sale, I grabbed a Savage 93 and overhauled it, and never looked back. That rifle is amazing.

Then came along, the .17 WSM and of course, I grabbed one, a must have Savage BMAG .17 WSM and gave it an overhaul. It's a great rifle.

Then, the Savage A17 Sporter .17 WSM was offered a couple of years ago so I instantly ordered one and still waiting for delivery. Picture shown below. The rifle is handy for we lefties.

I keep what I buy as far as squirrel guns, including my .22 guns. I am certainly not dissing .22 rifles, but I like longer range and more lethal guns.

Attachments

• 1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 43
Pretty wood. Wrap it in Coban tape while hunting. You can reuse the tape after the hunt so you can admire your wood.

We rabid squirrel hunters are always looking for the next best rifle we must get. For some of us, it involves a higher power scope and rifle, leaving .22 rifles in the dust.

As soon as the .17 HMR hit the news and for sale, I grabbed a Savage 93 and overhauled it, and never looked back. That rifle is amazing.

Then came along, the .17 WSM and of course, I grabbed one, a must have Savage BMAG .17 WSM and gave it an overhaul. It's a great rifle.

Then, the Savage A17 Sporter .17 WSM was offered a couple of years ago so I instantly ordered one and still waiting for delivery. Picture shown below. The rifle is handy for we lefties.

I keep what I buy as far as squirrel guns, including my .22 guns. I am certainly not dissing .22 rifles, but I like longer range and more lethal guns.

I know that feeling all too well. Currently, I own seventeen 22cal. rimfires, with only 2 of those in 22 mag, and for some reason, I never took to the 17 cals in rimfire. Maybe someday? I love all of them for similar and different reasons, but if I had to make a claim as to my "best" squirrel rifle I have ever used, it would be one of my old Rem 700 BDL's in 222 Rem. I use reduced handloads with a few grains of pistol powders, Unique and 2400 being the most used, and typically a 40-50gr SP. Though I have used other weights and styles. These loads produce about the same speed as a 22 mag, but they have better down range ballistics and range than the old FMJ or SP in the 22 mag.

Over the decades, it has produced small, ragged one hole groups at 60yds while wearing its old 6x-18x 40mm target scope, and I have always liked the weight, feel and balance of the rifle/scope combo for very precise shots. Typically, I hunt with the scope on 6x, but there have been many ear and eye shots taken at 12x.

Sadly, many public lands and some states will not allow a center fire rifle to be used for squirrel hunting, but that only means I have to choose which of the 22 rimfires I wish to use in those areas.

Tim Allen wouldn't waste his money on extra rifle parts but he would buy extra parts for his car collection which is very nice He's not a hunter his time is spent towards his family and his faith as he has been through a lot from age 11 when his father passed away. He does have a few guns around to protect his family I'm sure but god and family are his main concern. KEEP THE FAITH TIM.

Tried & true. Old Remington 512 Sportmaster with 2-7 WEAVER. The old plastic scope caps are plastic & crack. This old rifle has killed more than the plague! I still shoot shingle nail heads @ 75 yards with it. 25" pipe. It's around 70 years old

I have a 50 year old Rem 581 that I bought new, and similarly, it has killed untold numbers of small game and varmints. I good friend of mine from childhood always used a 512 with iron sights, and he made some incredible shots for not using a scope. I have an old Rem 513T that can still shoot better groups than many more modern rifles, and it too has taken much small game and varmints along with many bullseye target matches.

I have a CZ452 in 22 LR, a 452 in 22 WMR and a 455 in 17 HMR. All excellent shooters! But none of my timber can compare to yours!
I installed a Yo Dave trigger spring and bushing set in each that set the pull at 2 1/2 lbs which really helped my old trigger finger.
The 17 HMR will put 5 shots in 3/4" at 100 yards. The 22 WMR will put 5 in 1 1/8 ".
Never did any more tweeking other than the Yo Dave work. This was my test to find the best ammo in the 452 22 LR:
View attachment 416480
I do this with my Ruger American 22 lr bolt action at 100 yards. and cci

Recent Posts