White squirrel

birddog 68

About a month ago I was on my way home from the range and seen 5 squirrels chasing each other along a back road and as I slowed to look I spotted a white squirrel. Of course they all did a disappearing act when I got out of the truck. Today I slowly rolled into that area and sure enough there it was. I waited patiently for him to show himself again and was able to get a pic.
I have seen a bunch of different color variations but never a white one.
This is very rare in this area but wondering if others have seen any?

Attachments

• 12877728-D4C0-4C8C-B34A-27C86604850F.jpeg
    12877728-D4C0-4C8C-B34A-27C86604850F.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 292
Where I grew up all of our squirrels were black phase, other than the pine squirrels. The town I work in has a specific three block area where 90% of the squirrels are white. I believe they are albino, as their eyes are reddish.

not rare here, at least in certain parts. they have demon red eyes too

Where I grew up all of our squirrels were black phase, other than the pine squirrels. The town I work in has a specific three block area where 90% of the squirrels are white. I believe they are albino, as their eyes are reddish.
Very interesting. Sounds like color variations are fairly localized. I was curious about the color of the eyes on this white one but I don't think I will ever get close enough to find out.