White squirrel

About a month ago I was on my way home from the range and seen 5 squirrels chasing each other along a back road and as I slowed to look I spotted a white squirrel. Of course they all did a disappearing act when I got out of the truck. Today I slowly rolled into that area and sure enough there it was. I waited patiently for him to show himself again and was able to get a pic.
I have seen a bunch of different color variations but never a white one.
This is very rare in this area but wondering if others have seen any?
Sure would make a nice mount. lol
I have seen a few red squirrels in the Gettysburg area. Which is unusual for the area. I had a video on my old phone that took a dump. But no white or black thus far. Wonder if someone is starting to introduce different species to different areas ? It's hard to keep up with what the Universities are doing these days.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I have never seen a white squirrel. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago that takes some pride in its local population of melanistic or black squirrels. Most squirrels are gray in this suburb - only maybe 10% are black.

I did see a black squirrel a couple of times with a white tip on its tail. This picture is a bit grainy (taken from my car at a distance, cropped to highlight the critter) but I know the difference between squirrels and similar critters, say skunks, and I observed this squirrel on two occasions as it ran across a road. Definitely a black squirrel with apparently a white tip on the tail.

Anyone else seen any similar?

We have (5) Squirrel families on our property.
Chipmunk, Red Squirrel, Flying Squirrel, Fox Squirrel and Monkey Squirrel.
The Fox and Monkey are the largest up to 3' from nose to tail.
I had a lot of pictures, but Cassie ate one phone and broke two laptops.
These pictures are of a Monkey Squirrel we were going to have mounted along with a Fox Squirrel, really nice Grey Fox with a lot of colors and a Black Yote.
Had them in a freezer waiting to be taken to the Taxidermist and somehow the electric plug to that freezer was knocked loose and everything defrosted. I was on a trip when Jill smelled something bad. Jill had to throw out all those trophies. I don't know if I knocked the plug out or a contractor that was doing a Termite Inspection of our Home.

Attachments

• Monkey.JPG
    Monkey.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Monkey1.JPG
    Monkey1.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 26
  • Monkey2.JPG
    Monkey2.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 21