White squirrel

We have (5) Squirrel families on our property.
Chipmunk, Red Squirrel, Flying Squirrel, Fox Squirrel and Monkey Squirrel.
The Fox and Monkey are the largest up to 3' from nose to tail.
I had a lot of pictures, but Cassie ate one phone and broke two laptops.
These pictures are of a Monkey Squirrel we were going to have mounted along with a Fox Squirrel, really nice Grey Fox with a lot of colors and a Black Yote.
Had them in a freezer waiting to be taken to the Taxidermist and somehow the electric plug to that freezer was knocked loose and everything defrosted. I was on a trip when Jill smelled something bad. Jill had to throw out all those trophies. I don't know if I knocked the plug out or a contractor that was doing a Termite Inspection of our Home.
WOW Len those monkey squirrels are huge!
We don't have any flying squirrels in this area but I've seen them while hunting in Ohio. The ones I seen were very small and not as good at flying as I thought they would be. Possibly young ones? 🤷🏿‍♂️

When I lived in MD I saw lots of black squirrels and at least one white squirrel, maybe 2. It's been a long time though. Definitely a rarity. When I go back to PA for buck season, I hardly see any squirrels at all now.
Really ? I can take a dozen or more any given day around here. Especially in deer season.

I'm in central Wisconsin and we have a lot of black squirrels, lot of gray squirrels, but never have I seen a white one.

Thanks for sharing this oddity with us. I suppose it could be albino, I have seen albino prairie dogs. The only way to be sure is see if it has pink eyes.
I don't have Pink Eyes, but I have really RED eyes since I was born. Does it have something to do with DNA or the Bourbon that I was drinking since a Youngman?

In MN the Pine squirrels are about 1/2 the size of a typical grey squirrel, great Muskie lure material. Mepps lures pays a bounty on squirrel tails but, not enuff to make a living on. Mepps lures pays the postage if you send 50 tails in at a time.

Last edited:
They used to taunt my hound dog. I was close to 30 in the yard that year. I've switched to a trap now.

Attachments

• 20190521_141526.jpg
    20190521_141526.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 25
WOW Len those monkey squirrels are huge!
We don't have any flying squirrels in this area but I've seen them while hunting in Ohio. The ones I seen were very small and not as good at flying as I thought they would be. Possibly young ones? 🤷🏿‍♂️
They are very small and should be called "Gliders". They have extra Skin that they spread open and can glide pretty far from one tree to the next.

Thanks for posting. I have never seen a white squirrel. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago that takes some pride in its local population of melanistic or black squirrels. Most squirrels are gray in this suburb - only maybe 10% are black.

I did see a black squirrel a couple of times with a white tip on its tail. This picture is a bit grainy (taken from my car at a distance, cropped to highlight the critter) but I know the difference between squirrels and similar critters, say skunks, and I observed this squirrel on two occasions as it ran across a road. Definitely a black squirrel with apparently a white tip on the tail.

Anyone else seen any similar?

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpeg
    IMG_1720.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 26
There is a small town about 30 miles from me that has a population of white squirrels. Supposedly the mayor of the town brought several in from another country about 50 years ago and they have maintained their population. We have black squirrels in the MS delta, beautiful squirrels

Recent Posts