New Sierra MatchKings!

Have been nothing but impressed with terminal performance, and external ballistics aren't bad either.:D
Accurate in everything I've put them through. As a matter of fact, I need to go run some through my new .338 RUM barrel.

Tried the 250 grain MK's at all? Could be another good option for the mid capacity 338's

Got a buddy that runs them in a couple .338-378 Improved and a Lapua. He has killed all kinds of animals from pronghorn to elk, and swears by them.

I think I'm just picking the 7mm and going for it. Twisted to run the 180 eld and 183 smk. I dont plan on shooting big critters at a super long distance so i think the 7mm is a better fit for me. It will be mainly for long range targets and whitetails/ black bears and for If I ever make it out west. If I was building a elk rifle or something like that then yeah it would definitely be a 300.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. The .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.

I just wonder how a tipped version would act? If only there was a guy on here that had the knowledge and capability to perform such an action.o_O
I think I did that with my own bullets using Sierra jackets, although they had larger tips. They would expand farther than I could hit anything. Pretty sure the green tips would work

I think I'm just picking the 7mm and going for it. Twisted to run the 180 eld and 183 smk. I dont plan on shooting big critters at a super long distance so i think the 7mm is a better fit for me. It will be mainly for long range targets and whitetails/ black bears and for If I ever make it out west. If I was building a elk rifle or something like that then yeah it would definitely be a 300.
This is precisely my plan. Except I've never been elk hunting and if I do, I plan on using a bow. Antelope and deer at long range, that's what my 7mm Rem Mag is for. Pretty sure a 180gr class bullet is going to come out the winner in a scenario with animals of that size.

The ultra long nose on these new bullets above 6.5 should do well. They are pointed so you may want to run a drill bit in. I think you will be more than pleased. Look at the baring surface of that 200 for you 308 guys. The 230 should also be good for wsm and up with the short baring surface as well. I have a box of 150/6.5's I plan to shoot before next weekend. With a bit if luck I will get a shot at some song dogs by the wknd as well

I've shot the 6.5-150 and the 7-183 and I've been impressed with both. I was able to hit steel 3/5 shots at 1705 on a 24x24 steel plate with the 183 in less than ideal conditions.

I haven't played with the 150 as much. I had a chance to shoot with a buddy of mine one day and was anxious to try them. I just found the lands, backed off .020, and tried 59.0gr H1000 in my SAUM. Only loaded 5 just to get a ball park and guessed 2950 for velo. Hit the 66% IPSC steel all 5 shots.

I'll probably try the 150 on deer when I can. I think they'll do ok but expansion might be inconsistent do to the very small meplat. I'd say they'll get full penetration on most shots with varying expansion. I've shot a fair amount of game with the original SMK (22-69gr & 30-190gr) with great success but these new meplats are marketedly smaller.

Over the crony today in my creed 2948 for the same load that was 2920w/147 elms. Only 3 shots with them with 1 from the 147 that. I shot the eldm cold bore. All were 2.855coal. The 150smk has a lot more jump didn't measure it yet. Eldm is .002off in my rifle. My 8tw shot round holes at 100yds. Still need to get some trigger time. Looks promising though

Over the crony today in my creed 2948 for the same load that was 2920w/147 elms. Only 3 shots with them with 1 from the 147 that. I shot the eldm cold bore. All were 2.855coal. The 150smk has a lot more jump didn't measure it yet. Eldm is .002off in my rifle. My 8tw shot round holes at 100yds. Still need to get some trigger time. Looks promising though
Wow that's smoking for a 150!

Smoking!! What length pipe u shooting? Load details?

It's a 24" with rl26, 215, peterson brass. I use right out of the box brass. Once its all fireformed to my chamber ill get serious about my load. The brass im going to uae is peterson over norma for prs/hunting/event target shooting. It has more speed than norma and the primers look better. Cosistency and toughness seems to be.
The gun runs faster than it should for break in I used lock ease between each shot to 25. I used 5 tubbs throat maintenance bullets #7to#12. This took the tight spot about halfway down the tube out.
Rifle is a 10t savage (cabellas exclusive) and shoots very very well.

I have shot several rounds of the 197 in my 7mm ultra rogue, they shoot great but in order to get that BC they are tipped so i hunt with the eol

I have been asking around all over about that little 110gr Matchking. The dead animal pics speak for themselves. From elk on down, they're killing machines! I can't wait to get my hands on some and see what they can do when I get my next rifle completed!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.