Hunting with Sierra Matchkings

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
Heres a good one :D
Has anyone used SMK's for hunting? I have, and have had good luck on game as small as crows to as large as mule deer. These bullets may not be intended as hunting bullets but they seem to work as good as any match/hunting bullet ive used.
What is everyone else's experience?
Chris

DL, I haven't but a gunsmith I knew swore by them for long range hunting. He built 1000 yd custom rifles and worked up loads with the SMK's for them. Sadly he passed last year and left all his friends with a void in our lives. RIP Jack.

I have had good results and bad results. I have shot a number of deer with the 168 gr .308. Most of the time the bullet would expand really quick and drop a deer in it's tracks. A couple times the bullets just ice picked straight through like a FMJ and deer ran quite a good ways before expiring. I use the 69 gr MK in my AR 223 to shoot ground hogs and so far it has expanded really well and blows LARGE exits.

I have made the decision to not use the Match Kings on deer any more though. There are plenty of bullets designed as game bullets that are just as accurate and I have never had one of these bullets not expand. Sierra Game Kings or Pro Hunters or Nosler Ballistic Tips just kill game really well.

Here's a pic of my bull hanging after a 500 yard shot with 338 Edge shooting 300 SMK's. This was the entry wound side.....you be the judge?

Attachments

• 2014 Elk.jpg
    2014 Elk.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 113
Do a search there is a lot here on this forum. I like the 300gn 338s but won't use the smaller caliber bullets even though they are great shooting bullets. I know people who use them a lot in 30 cal and have had success. I have used them culling in 30 cal and they worked great but it seems the smaller cal bullets tend to pencil through.

My experience has only been with the 7mm 168 smk hunting whitetail. That particular diameter/ bullet weight combo always seems to work well. It's a mild load around 2800fps out of a rem 700 7mag. Typical effect has been dime size entry holes and Golf ball size exit holes with violent internal damage to vitals. However these shots have all been around 200 yds so I can not speak of the affect down range when impact velocities start to fall off.

Ive used them on turkey with the 100gr 25cal smk with great luck all the way out to 505yds, never past though. And a mulley with the 95gr 6mm smk that was DRT. So far so good for me. In my bullet trap they average 8" and completely come apart like so many other "hunting" bullets.
Chris
Benchmark

I used to use 160 SGK's about 12 years ago for my 7mm STW (factory loaded Federal Premium).... They SUCKED for meat loss. Massive destruction. Used up what I had, and never went back. Moved on to the 160 NAB that was factory loaded in Federal Premium (this was all before I handloaded), and it was good. Way back when (10-11 years ago) I also used to use the Federal P7RK ammo for my 7mm RemMag before it was discontinued, and it was awesome.

Now that I'm using Bergers...I've never been happier with a hunting bullet.

Correct me if i´m wrong, but I can´t find a reason to shoot any of the sierra offerings this days. IMHO Berger and Hornady have done an excellent job manufacturing better bullets for any given task.
Better Ballistic Coefficient paired with great weight consistency can´t be beaten. I haven´t had a rifle that won´t shoot great with bergers or something offered by Hornady. Used to shoot SMK´s and SGK´s in my .260 Rem like 10 years ago but once I switched I never looked back.

Here is a photo of the exit wound. I shot this 6pt buck at about 140 yards using a 165gr sierra gameking round in my 308, you can see in the photo but the round knicked the spine during expansion, which resulted in the deer dropping right where he stood. (on the ribcage photo. Very pleased with the performance of this little bullet. It also groups under half an inch at 100 yards out of my 26'' varmint profile barrel 1-12 twist.

He may not be the biggest buck but he'll do just fine! Taken in Alabama @ Bent Creek Lodge

I've shot alot of elk and deer with smks out of .308,7mm,and 338 lapua had good results even shot an elk at under 50 yards no issue. If your worried about destruction the conventional behind the shoulder shot works well..if you want to anchor a critter in its tracks the high shoulder would my pick.

I'll let you know this year when the 375 cheytac gets a chance to roar on a speed goat.

Jordan@406

I like shoulder shots on all game, the handfull of meat you loose is well worth watching the critters fold :D
Chris
Benchmark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.