Sierra Matchkings for hunting

Dave,

I hadn't considered the 'force multiplier' idea of brain shots for culling.

At the risk of hijacking a thread, would you mind taking a second to explain how you visualise your aiming point for a brain shot; deer face on, side on and oblique.

I've never brain shot a deer, so I don't feel wildly confident about the aiming point;

for eg, on Saturday I lay waiting for a doe to show herself over a convex slope (waiting to neck shoot her), meanwhile her young buck partner lay facing me.

To pass the time I moved my sight picture over the buck's face.

I think that a brain stem shot would have meant shooting between the nostrils- which made me think about how much bone, sinus etc the bullet would have to transit to reach the stem - a lot!

Shifting the POA higher -between the eyes, presented a 'glacis plate' of sloping skull bone.

What's the solution? [in case you wondered, the pair took off and I didn't get the shot!]

By the way, Bill B, Don't feel bad, I don't understand the SMK debate either:

Encouraged by the SMK reports that I read when I first discovered this board, I experimented by shooting an unopened tin of tomatoes at 200m with a 168 lapua scenar out of a 308.

Expected an explosion; nothing happened.

Thought I'd missed.

However, it was drilled dead centre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Next time I'm attacked by tinned tomatoes, Scenars will not be my projectile of choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Each to his own I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry Ric I couldn't wait, drink two beer and munch some chips while you read this!

For those wanting to know about using.

Sierra MatchKings as a hunting bullet...!!!

Rule #1

If you have no experience with the equipment or components in question in the environment or application requested, refrain from comment.

I've killed HUNDREDS of critters with Sierra MatchKings... Wild Boar, Feral Hog, White-Tail deer, Moose, Black Bears, Ground Hogs and probably other stuff.

They work just fine for me... 168 and 175 SMK 308, 300 SMK 338, 69 SMK 223.

There is a single exception for my use...the 6.5mm 142 SMKs... I was not impressed with their performance but others have reported they work fine.

THE KEY as with all bullets IS SHOT PLACEMENT.

I shoot, brain, spine or double lung as a rule.

I DON'T shoot water filler jugs at 300 yards with the 168's, they apparently won't make them explode. ( I read this on the internet!)

Experience beat speculation and conjecture.

Okay, who's next?
I love this real world data. I have read that match kings and TMKs are designed just like the game kings with no exposed lead for better B/Cs. Thanks for the great info. I'm curious of the 142s experience.

Recent Posts