New Sierra MatchKings!

Yeah, that 95gr .224 has me up in the air about how to rebarrel my .243 when the time comes! I was going to do a tight twisted .243 Ackley. Now I'm thinking 22-.243 Ackley or .260 Ackley or .243 Ackley! Choices, choices....

Yeah, that 95gr .224 has me up in the air about how to rebarrel my .243 when the time comes! I was going to do a tight twisted .243 Ackley. Now I'm thinking 22-.243 Ackley or .260 Ackley or .243 Ackley! Choices, choices....
Rifle build decisions are always fun hahaha

I've taken two deer with 190 grain SMKs out of a 300 WM , one was an accidental neck shot , instant kill . The other was shot through the lungs at approx 175 yards, more than once, with zero expansion. The second deer was recovered after a very rough tracking job . Post mortem revealed small entrance holes , small holes in the lungs and same size exits .

Any bullet can fail , but all the bullets sent into that deer failed to expand. I love SMKs for accuracy and ease of load development but I'll never use or recommend them for game again.

When I was into making my own bullets a few years back, I tested a lot of commercial bullets too, including the smk. I found that they would not expand reliably, as you have indicated. The Berger's we're always better. Since they both have hollow points and very thin jackets (around 014" for the Berger and some Sierra jackets were you only .012") I always believed that the big difference was the nose angle. At the time, the Berger's were a secant ogive and the Sierras a tangent. I .E . More pressure "outward" on the Berger meplat. When I tipped Sierra jackets while making my own bullet, they worked great,! Now that Sierra is using a more aggressive nose, that may have changed, BUT, they now do an extra crimp to close the meplat, so I doubt that they are likely to open either?? ......rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.