New Rifle?

Just a heads up. Grab a Gun has Savage Model 11, 6.5 Creed Longrange Hunter for under $500. Just picked one up. Put a fixed power 10x scope in it. It shoots very very well. Had a bent ejector and a wacky threaded scope base hole that a gunsmith chased the threads on. Oh, and the buffer on the bolt went "boing" and hit the floor when I tried to put it in the gun. Not sure how that wasn't on the gun right as it's held in by hardware. YouTube showed my how to put it back together. Took it out to 500 yards and was hitting 6" steel without a problem. The plate was shot up pretty good so I couldn't see the impact points. Got a nice 1/4" group at 100 yards too. Seems like a pretty good value.

Do not overlook this rifle...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42441/Remington+Firearms+85198+700+5-R+Gen+2+Bolt+6.5+Creedmoor+24+4+1+Synthetic+HS

It has all your criteria (stainless action and barrel, just Cerakoted black). 24" threaded barrel. Solid construction and proven reliability. **** sure has the accuracy part proven. The 5R Milspec rifles are not your standard Rem 700. They use special 5R barrel blanks for them, and they are high-quality. I have 2 of them (.308 & 300WM). I want to add one of these in .260 Remington to my 5R collection.

With handloads, it will most-likely be the most accurate factory rifle you have ever shot. It will need an aftermarket trigger immediately, as all Remington's trigger suck thanks to lawyers allowing idiots to sue Remington.

What trigger would you recommend... timney? I never considered a Remington due to what I have heard lately about them. I'll look it up!

Another thing to think about is weight. The Browning is about 1.5 pounds lighter than a couple of the other rifles mentioned. Much of that is due to the carbon stock. Carbon is much lighter than fiberglass. It is also stiffer and stiffness is a great quality in a long range stock.

The Browning also has a flush fitting mag. If this is to be primarily a hunting rifle, you will more than likely be carrying it a lot. It is difficult to carry a rifle with a long magazine in a balanced fashion. the mag tends to be right where the natural balance of the rifle is and gets in the way. Now, if it's more of a LR or PRS or Steel shooting rifle. the heavier stock and AICs mags would be a plus.

Would be mostly hunting for now. Wouldn't mind getting into some long range steel though.

Does anyone know how smooth the premier action is? What it is comparable
Too? I've never held a bergara.

What trigger would you recommend... timney? I never considered a Remington due to what I have heard lately about them. I'll look it up!
Timney, Jewell, TriggerTech, Shilen... For the money, the Timney is hard to beat. I love Jewell triggers and Shilen triggers, had several over the years. Trigger Tech also builds a very nice trigger from what I hear. Never pulled one, but hear good things about them.

Definitely look them up... I've had my Gen1 5R .308 since around 2010/2011... With my handloads it routinely shoots in the .25x" 3-shot groups...And has shot in the .1xx" many times. I haven't shot many customs that will even shoot a 1/10 MOA group...Even at 100 yards.

Last edited:
7 twist in a creedmoor? Wrong f'n case, 26 nosler or 6.5 saum I I get it. Shooting 130 jlk vld vs 150+ gr bullets in thr creedmoor has better drop & energy due to the small case of the creedmoor.

hey all,

I am looking at purchasing a new bolt action rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will primarily use it for hunting, but might get into shooting steel at long ranges eventually. I have been looking at a couple different rifles, but would like to know what you all think.

I've been considering (all are similar in price— within a hundred or so):

Xbolt pro long range
Weatherby mark v accumark
Bergara premiere approach

I have a leupold vx6hd 3-18x50 to pair with it.

Some things that are important to me:
- short(er) bolt throw
- stainless steel barrel/action
- 24-26" barrel
- solid/ durable construction with high reliability
- accurate

These are in no apparent order. Also, I don't want to go over the $1700 1800 price range. So making a custom really isn't a good option as it will be used this fall for hunting.

Take a good look at the Ruger offerings in the M77 Long Range and RPR. I have a .260 in the former that has been fantastic.

The Gen 2 Milspec is certainly worth looking at.

I begrudgingly bought one three years ago in .260 Rem and with a little trigger work it is fantastic shooting consistently around .5 MOA with Prime Ammunition factory loads.

Would be mostly hunting for now. Wouldn't mind getting into some long range steel though.

Does anyone know how smooth the premier action is? What it is comparable
Too? I've never held a bergara.
Just please watch the link that I posted on the bottom of page one. It is about bergara rifles.

Just please watch the link that I posted on the bottom of page one. It is about bergara rifles.

I watched that video last night... knowing it shoots straight for 100% fact is a big selling point for me. My hunt is in October and was the only reason I bought my 300 weatherby. Because my weatherby has an issue it's making me paranoid about buying a gun that hasn't been proven.

My ONLY reservation about the bergara (because on paper it seems very nice) is the action. I have watched some YouTube videos of people using bergara premier series (mainly stalker) and the action seems really rough. In many videos the shooter cannot not fluidily open and close the bolt.

I have never held a bergara, I am going to my local cabelas today to see if they have one to feel!

I was also thinking maybe the Tikka T3x CTR?

I have the Tikka T3X CTR in the Creedmoor and have about 60 rounds through it. I was blown away by the accuracy with factory 143 Hornady ELD X. The first 14 shots out of the rifle averaged 3/4" and it continues to shoot like that. Nice crisp trigger that I tuned down to 2 lbs. , smooth feeding. Has a pic rail but flat though.
I have a Gen 2 5r rifle too. ,, 2" groups with the 143 factory. I have tried different factory rounds plus handloads. The best it will do is 1 1/4" sometimes. I'm real disappointed with that rifle but may have a new barrel installed next year.

It's a bit of a crap shoot with factory rifles and their accuracy, despite what some forum members think even mil specs will have a poor barrel too. Just like any other manufacturer.
Sako has a 5 shot sub Moa guarantee, one of the better ones out there. If that's important to you check out the sako a7 roughtech range. I have one, it's my best shooting rifle. The sako trigger is as good as the trigger tech on the Bergara premier.
The ctr is also a good option, I believe tikka has a 3 shot sub Moa guarantee.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.