New rifle

mtank

Wanting a new rifle in the 6.5 family. It will be used mainly for whitetail & elk hunting. I've looked at a few rifles but can't decide. The Tikka T3 has awesome reviews but the stock feels like crap. I've been giving a hard look at either a x bolt in 6.5 creed or 26 nosler or going weatherby marks ultra light 6.5x300. Any help?

I have a Savage model 10t 6.5 creedmoor that's a shooter , a Savage model 12 260 & my current go to deer gun a 1978 Winchester model 70 264 win that loves the 130 nosler accubond. Hadn't got a scope on the 260 yet but the creed is a blast to shoot.

Honestly the Mark-V is still a mass-produced rifle...No different than a R700 or a Browning...They just have a much higher price tag. What you get is not worth the extra money, IMO.

Also, if you plan on using it strictly for hunting, the .26 Nosler will probably last a few years, but they are known to burn out barrels in about 600 rounds. Just giving you a heads-up on that one. Most gun shops won't tell you that, because they are having trouble moving them, so they typically avoid that information if they can help it.

Are you wanting something lightweight, or does a shorter rifle with a heavier barrel be something that would meet your fancy?

If so, take a look into the 5R barreled line of Remingtons...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ul+Bolt+260+Remington+22+5+1+Magpul+Stk+Black

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ucts_id/719010011/REM+700+SS+5R+260+24TB+MZ+4

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/46197/REM+700+MAGPUL+ENHANCED+6.5CM

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+Gen+2+Bolt+6.5+Creedmoor+24+4+1+Synthetic+HS

I'm wanting to go lightweight on this one. My savage is a good shooter but it's heavy & awkward to carry. I've never thought of handloading for it because it shoots factory ammo so well. I've yet to find a round it doesn't like but it really loves the Winchester 142 accubond long range & the 143 eld-x. That was my next question on the 26 nosler, how long until the new wears off & you can't get ammo. (If you don't handload) I've never given the 6.5x284 much thought since I have a 264 win mag. The bullet selection for the 6.5 is pretty impressive.

One of buddies is getting one of the new remingtons in a 300win in the 5r family. When I was at Cabela's last Saturday they legit recommended everything over a new Remington. I have a 2003 shot show 7mm limited I've taken a few elk trips. It shoots very well just wanting something new.

I'm wanting to go lightweight on this one. My savage is a good shooter but it's heavy & awkward to carry. I've never thought of handloading for it because it shoots factory ammo so well. I've yet to find a round it doesn't like but it really loves the Winchester 142 accubond long range & the 143 eld-x. That was my next question on the 26 nosler, how long until the new wears off & you can't get ammo. (If you don't handload) I've never given the 6.5x284 much thought since I have a 264 win mag. The bullet selection for the 6.5 is pretty impressive.
Sounds like you might need to venture into the big 7's... You have lots of 6.5's, but you don't have anything bigger. Have you thought about the .28 Nosler or 7mm STW?

Sounds like you might need to venture into the big 7's... You have lots of 6.5's, but you don't have anything bigger. Have you thought about the .28 Nosler or 7mm STW?
Yes I've considered a STW. I have a whitworth 7mm that i killed my first deer with 20 plus years ago. I've argued with myself a few times about having it rebarrelled in a STW.

I am not a fan of the new remingtons.I have a couple of Weatherby ULWA and they are awesome imo.I am buying a Browning x-bolt Hells canyon speed in 6.5 cm next.Good luck

I agree with the above. You need to look bigger.

The 65 anything is a great round but if elk are in the mix I'd look to something that carries a little more.

I'd look at anything starting with a 280AI and up with enough twist to run the 180's. You can still drop down to a 160 and likely even a 150 but we're it me, it would start with a 175 eld-x at 2900 or faster.

Real hard to argue against a 7rm.

I agree with the above. You need to look bigger.

The 65 anything is a great round but if elk are in the mix I'd look to something that carries a little more.

I'd look at anything starting with a 280AI and up with enough twist to run the 180's. You can still drop down to a 160 and likely even a 150 but we're it me, it would start with a 175 eld-x at 2900 or faster.

Real hard to argue against a 7rm.
No doubt. It's what I killed my first deer & I'm partial to them. My love of the 6.5 & 7 run a tight race. The Remington 7 mm I've never checked the twist but it's a 154-160 shooter.

I am not a fan of the new remingtons.I have a couple of Weatherby ULWA and they are awesome imo.I am buying a Browning x-bolt Hells canyon speed in 6.5 cm next.Good luck
Let me know what you think about it. Browning changed the rate of twist on a few calibers this year. I can't remember if the 6.5 is now a 7 or 8 twist.

Rebarrel the 26 nosler to 28 or 30 nosler. Throated properly for 195's or 215's depending on which you decide. You have all the deer situations covered with your battery of 6.5s. To me that would be the 30 nosler.

My Savage 110 LA in .270 AI has a 30" Lilja barrel #6 contour + 2" MB and I use a Kifaru gunbearer for carry ...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.