New rifle

imr

Hi, I am going to buy a new rifle (not custom) for target shooting. Is only for fun, I don't have too many pretensions, but I would like to buy the best option with my budget. ¿Could you order the following options from the best rifle (or the most accurate) to the worst? That would help me to choose one of them because I have heard good opinions, but I have only shot two of them.

1)Tikka T3x lite
2)Tikka T3x varmint
3)Tikka CTR
4)Sauer 100 Classic XT
5)Bergara B14
6)Bergara B14 HMR
7)Remington 700 SPS varmint
8)Remington 700 varmint SF

Thank you

I've had a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and currently do have a Bergara HMR in 308. Both are excellent rifles. I prefer the stock and magazine compatability of the Bergara, but prefer the action of the Tikka. Both are very accurate. I would put those two at the top of your list. Personally, I would steer clear of a factory Remington. Very hit or miss.

I really cannot rate these, because some I have no experience with. But, I have had good luck with Tikka rifles. They have a very smooth action and are relatively accurate. If I was going to buy one of these from your list, I would go with the Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor with the 24" barrel. Good luck with your choice.

Vote for the CTR, McMillan will make you a nice stock if you don't like the factory offering, or Manners will too. I have several Tikka's and they never fail to impress on the range. Plus, you can be sure that you'll have one of the smoothest actions in your hands.

Interesting MBird brought up Savage. Earlier this year I went to Sportsman Warehouse to get a new rifle. I tried about everything on the shelf. The way I test a rifle is shoulder it, dryfire it so the bolt has to cock the firing pin to work the bolt again, and quickly push the bolt back in to battery. The only two that had actions that weren't sticky on the way back into battery were the Savage 10 and the Tikka T3x lite. On yea, I almost forgot the Weatherby Mark V six lug action also went in as easily as it came out. All the expensive rifles, including the Weatherby Mark V nine lug were sticky when worked from the shoulder. Maybe it's just the way I hold a rifle or work the bolt, but that's the way they work for me.

When I had a Pierce titanium action rifle built it was the same way. I called the company and was instructed to "choke up on the bolt" like a baseball batter does when the bat is too long. As soon as the season was over I disassembled that rifle and sold the parts.

i personally wdnt go with any of those choices,but wd buy a used 700 action,a good trigger,a criterion match barrel,and the stock of your choice and build up your own rifle.done right,it will out shoot all the rest.

The Rem 700 5R Milspec rifles are civilian M24's on a short-action platform. They have 416R stainless 5R-rifled barrels (that are actual M24 barrels) that have been turned down to a Rem Varmint/Sendero contour, and hand-lapped at the factory. They are insanely accurate rifles, and are about as close to a custom shop or custom rifle as a factory rifle can get. The factory 5R Milspec barrels are as good as any aftermarket barrel I've ever shot. I have 2 of the 5R's, and looking to add a 3rd to the collection.

The only issue, is that it still has the crappy lawyer-proof X-Mark Pro trigger that immediately needs replacing with a Jewell or Timney trigger as soon as you buy it.

I have 2 Tikka CTR's, one in .223, the other in .260. I bought them for youngsters shooting volume, but the accuracy level has been a pleasant surprise.

I'd look for one in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I would like the Remington 700 5R, but for me the price is almost twice than the other rifles.

I just helped a buddy develop a load for his milspec 5r in 308 yesterday. 1st 3 shots in load development measured under .5 inch in a clover leaf with each overlapping the other hole. 41 gr varget, 178 eldx, avg 2520 fps, sd16. 3 shots and done load development lol. He put a trigger tech trigger on, very nice trigger at least as nice as a regular timney and much less money. I can't speak for the other guns on ur list, but the milspec will shoot circles around a sps 700. The mil spec is worth the money

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.