New rifle

TheFishBox

I know this has already been hashed around but I have read a bunch of threads and can't seem to come to a conclusion as to what I want. My thoughts are a rifle that I can use for long range practice mostly in the 700-800 yard range I might take it to 1000 if conditions are good but I already have a 338 lapua, and a 270 allen magnum for the heavy lifting but would like a practice rifle that would 1. enable more practice 2. have a low recoil level( not against having a brake on it but would like it to start out with moderate recoil) that way my wife can tolerate. 3. be able to shoot 30- 40 rounds in a session. 4. moderate barrel life.

The calibers I have thought about run the gambit from fast 22's like the 22-243 to 6.5x284 I would like to stay under 30 cal if at all possible, Like I said this rifle would mainly be used for practice,maybe shoot some rats or coyotes but mainly to take some of the heat off my other rifles and allow for more practice. Any Ideas?

I just went through the exact same problem as you are having. I decided on a 6.5X47. Had it built by RBROS. It is a awesome caliber, and extremely accurate. Also virtually no recoil, but I have a 4 port Defensive Edge brake on it. I couldn't recommend the caliber or RBROS more than I am. They are both great. Good luck with your decision.

6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 x47 lupua
260 Rem

I agree. The 6.5 x 284 is a little barrel burner, but not much. The Creedmore is a better choice if you like to shoot a lot. Also a 6BR is a great choice for target shooting.
I should be getting my 6.5 Creedmore with a Surgeon action, fitted with a 30 inch Shilen Select Match grade barrel Contour #7 in a few weeks.

I recently got a 6.5x47 up and running. Of the large calibers, I can't imagine finding anything that is much more pleasant to shoot without a brake. Accurate too. I'm wondering what took me so long to discover 6.5's.

I just did the same thiught process you did. I ended with a 6.5 creed. I'm doing an ultra light. Trying for as light as possible. Pierce to action and recoil lug. Light weight 30moa rings no rail. 22" fluted barrel. Xlr Carbon stock. Hard to go wrong with 6.5 creed

So what about going 6x47 and the 115 grain bergers anyone have any experience with this combo? As far as recoil difference compared to 6.5x47 and also barrel life.

So what I have gathered so far is the 22's are out due to short barrel life and the 6.5s don't generate that much more recoil.

I can stay on target at 100 yds with my 6.5X47 I described earlier. It is not a light gun with a manners stock, Defiance action, Broughton AMU contour barrel, 4 port brake. Spotting hits at 500 plus yards is no problem. There are lots of guys who do like the 6X47 but I like to shoot heavier bullets.

6x47: A very popular round among the pros. I imagine compared to the 6.5... maybe flatter shooting, shorter barrel life, less recoil, must form the brass. Never shot one but I imagine it's like a hot 243 with a heavy bullet.

I kinda favor the more standard calibers. There's more than enough to keep me occupied and you can buy brass with the correct headstamp. The 6.5x47 is a kitten to shoot but I'm sure the 6x47 is too.

Personally, if I was to shoot a 6mm, I'd just go 243. Great caliber and great choices for brass at good prices that are usually available. Course you might want a custom barrel for the heavies but the 6mm holds it's own just fine till it gets windy.

So what about going 6x47 and the 115 grain bergers anyone have any experience with this combo? As far as recoil difference compared to 6.5x47 and also barrel life.

So what I have gathered so far is the 22's are out due to short barrel life and the 6.5s don't generate that much more recoil.
The main problem with the .22's is that with the lower BC's wind is hell on them and they lose accuracy faster than the bigger diameter higher BC bullets, to me the barrel life issue is secondary. I have shot the 220 Swift and .204 Ruger for years as varmint/predator medicine and they are lots of fun but cross winds will really eat you up fast.

The fast 6mm's can be hard on barrels as well.

The 6.5s mentioned (other than the 6.5-284 and 6.5RM) will give you very good barrel life as providing you don't shoot them hot and just keep shooting, high BC bullets, and minimal recoil.

I favor the .260 Rem myself but that's just personal preference.

I'd get one that would match the trajectory of the other rifles so that DOPE practice can be transferred between them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts