New Rifle?

All are great choices !!! My BIL has the Browning HC Long Range, shoots .5-.75 with Hornady 140 ELD factories. You can buy a Jard Trigger for the X Bolt now fixing the weak link (in my opinion)

I'm shopping the Bergara Premium Pro HMR or Approach. Best bang for under $2,000. Then spend $2,000 on optics, you're unstoppable !!!

I have two super accurate 6.5 Creeds, so I'm looking at the 6mm Creed just cuz

Maybe .22-.250, gonna be a prairie dogger. Either will not be conducive to long barrel life but WTH>

OH !!!!! I forgot a newcomer. Sauer's new Pantera, looks VERY Promising and should start showing up on shelves in a few weeks.

Check them out, they come in 6.5 PRC !!!!

OH !!!!! I forgot a newcomer. Sauer's new Pantera, looks VERY Promising and should start showing up on shelves in a few weeks.

Hornady also offers the 6.5 PRC Factory load in a 143g ELD-X Hunter and a 147g ELD Match. These are good well beyond a 1000 yards. Best of both worlds.
I'll have a custom 26 or 28" Columbia River Arms barrel with Polygonal rifling.

Last edited:
...you know, Hornady developed the 6.5 Creedmore ~ then they went back to the lab to eliminate the shortcomings and improve it.
They did it with the 6.5 PRC ~ it's the 6.5 Creedmores big brother. Test show it has a longer range, flatter trajectory, and less wear on the barrel.
I'm building one on the Mega Maten .308 receiver set.

That's funny you mentioned this, I just saw a YouTube video on the PRC. I will definitely take a look! Is is a "wildcard " round? Who makes rifles for that caliber?

Sauer as JP Sauer and Sohn or Sig Sauer? I will have to look it up!

...you know, Hornady developed the 6.5 Creedmore ~ then they went back to the lab to eliminate the shortcomings and improve it.
They did it with the 6.5 PRC ~ it's the 6.5 Creedmores big brother. Test show it has a longer range, flatter trajectory, and less wear on the barrel.
Sorry but that's just not possible. There's no way the PRC is going to have better barrel life than the CM.

I have a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 CM. I shoot 130 Berger's at a little over 2800 fps. it has been a surprisingly nice rifle/deer killer

That's funny you mentioned this, I just saw a YouTube video on the PRC. I will definitely take a look! Is is a "wildcard " round? Who makes rifles for that caliber?

> The 6.5 PRC was not meant to be a wild card ~ Hornady was a little off with their timing... the results from initial field testing came out just before the 2017 Shot Show. SOCOM was shopping for a new Sniper round, and the Creedmore, based on the .308 case looked great.
So all the manufactures pushed to release new rifles in the 6.5 Creedmore for Shot Show.

The PRC is a better round that can be adapted to a .308 chassis.
They make a .532 Magnum bolt that works in the .308 bolt carrier and WSM magazines for AR10's, and barrels.
PLUS ~ for a Versatile platform they could have complete uppers in the Hornady .338 RCM Barrel for a heavy hitter. Same bolt and magazine.

Personally, I think SOCOM "jumped the gun" (pun intended) going with the inferior Creedmore.
It would also be EASY to Mix-Up the .308 and Creedmore rounds.

SAFETY: The PRC and the RCM will not chamber in a .308...
And, the feed lips on a WSM magazine are too wide for a .308 round...

Last edited:

That was one of the goals in the new cartridge design ~ Hornady says it does.
Less muzzle blast, not as much unburned powder traveling down the barrel.

Yes, and it still only has crappy Hornady brass, because it's proprietary. I'd recommend staying away from cartridges that only offer one source for brass, unless that 1 source is Nosler or Lapua.

Do you seriously believe everything a company says? They're trying to get your money. There is absolutely NO physical way possible for a cartridge with the same bore diameter and more powder capacity to get better barrel life than one with less capacity.

If anything the CM would have a more complete burn rate, and less muzzle blast.

Please post the links where it says a short magnum with more slower burning powder will have less muzzle blast and less powder travelling down the barrel than the cm.

To be honest I'm not sure why ur even comparing the prc to the creed. Completely different cartridges.
And it'll be easy to mix up rounds?? What about every 308 derivative round?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.