New rifle chambering dilema 6mm, 6.5mm, 6.5PRC

damo257

I've got a rifle at a custom builder waiting for a new barrel and a couple other upgrades. I'd thought I settled on 6mm Creedmoor but I'm having doubts! I suppose for the money I'm spending I hate to Pigeon hole myself with a varmint/deer rig. I can almost make the 6.5 Creedmoor a 6mm with light fast bullets. But the 6.5 PRC would cover all my bases. It's being built in a rem 700 SA. I just want a great all purpose rig. Shooting mostly deer and coyotes 600 yds and in. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hard to beat a 6.5 Creedmoor for those ranges.

Have had a few 6.5s...6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284 Norma, 6.5 SAUM, and awaiting a 6.5 PRC.

If you reload, pick your poison. Just need to find your components before you build it to make sure you have enough to last a while. If not, go with what you can find the most of on the shelf and stock up as much as you can.

Of all, the SAUM was the fastest, but components are limited.

Do you have two bolts? Creeds are standard and PRC is Mag bolt face I believe. Gunsmith might be able to open up your bolt face if it's not a magnum.

I am in the same mode except have the PRC. Was set on the 6 but starting to lean towards the 6.5 CM for a wider range of options.