6mm creedmoor opinions

How is this possible with the laws of physics?

It is because of the laws of physics that these statements become true. As explained by 'desertcj' and in addition, the sloped shape of the .243 Win. case, the moderate shoulder angle of 20* and the shorter neck allows the burning powder and the plasma to escape the case uninterrupted, burning up through the throat area. Image it as being more of a torch-type effect where the flame bowl is unimpeded and spreads out.

The 6mm Creedmoor has a moderately improved case body and a steeper shoulder angle. these two features help to slow the powder exit from the case, getting it to burn more completely (efficiently) and the shoulder controls the angle of reflection of the plasma into the neck of the case rather than into the throat area. That which is not reflected exits in a straighter line down the bore rather than spreading out into the throat.

Less throat erosion, longer barrel life.

Regards.

Matt, I'm about 3 minutes behind you and also have put in an order for a 6 creedmore to be built by TS Customs in Miller S.D. hope to see it in less than 6 months but that depends on McMillan stocks

Right on! What components are you using. I have everything together except for technically a muzzle brake. I was undecided if I want one but figured I might as well get on spun on incase I do. Then just have to decide on which 6mm. Between the 6x47 lapua and the 6mm creed.

Kelbly atlas tac action
Bartlein med palma 1:7.5 twist 27"
Manners t5 stock
Badger bottom metal
Jewel trigger

All those facts considered, the .243 Ackley is every thing we are talking about and more for all the reasons the 6CM is good. The only place a .243 Ackley will fall short is feeding in a semi-auto. Maybe a bit of barrel life that is yet to be determined, but a .243 Ackley is 200+fps advantage on a 6CM.

Travis is going to do his magic on my Rem 700 short action,flute the bolt spiral cut, coat it black, Timmy trigger at 1.5 lbs, machine the action and bottom metal for lengthened box, bottom metal will be black, barrel will be a #4 Benchmark 26" 1:7.5 twist plus his brake turned to match barrel contour, barrel fluted in spiral style,McMillan Game Hunter stock ( which will take 5-6 months to get per McMillan) and painted in Coyote camo,barreled action will be creakoted stainless, will put on Tally light weight rings with 20moa and Leupold 6.5-20 scope with target turrets and 30mm tube side focus.already gathering up reloading components for the 6mm Creedmor, this thing should shoot.hopefully next year I will go shoot prairie dogs at a friends ranch.

I can second the 243ai being superior on the throat to a standard 243. You also have alot more speed available if you want the speed. Or use H1000 for much better throat life due to the type powder it is.

Ok so we know its a great flat shooting round with components readily available, hows it work on medium game like white tail deer?

Ok so we know its a great flat shooting round with components readily available, hows it work on medium game like white tail deer?
With near the same velocities as a 243 why would the results be different. Add in std 8tw and it will kill better than a 9 or 10tw. I have had quite a few 243's mostly 10tw with an 8tw in 243ai. With a 10tw I cut open a boar bear in the 230# dressed weight size range to find what looked like a bomb went off inside it. I ran dogs for a few years and saw about 50 bears shot with all kinds of typical deer guns at close range. That 85grain sierria hollowpoint at about 3250 jellied everything in the front of that bear. It came out near the middle of the back with a front chest entry.
The only thing close to that was a 180gk at 3000ish from my 300 bee. That was in the socket of the shoulder and the bone shattered through the lungs and heart. Shot was a treed bear 60-70' from the muzzle. The man who shot it has the jacket and some core we found in the offside shoulder.

I have killed many deer with a 243. It is all about shot placement.
I had a cm built last spring and have no worry about shooting deer or antelope at 500 yds if it is standing still and broad sides. 105 Matrix vld that started out at 3100 FPS is plenty. Hit a rib and it looks like it was shot with a 9 shot contact wound.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.