6mm Creedmoor

Here's a fact of life. The more powder you use in a load the lower the barrel life. The smaller the caliber and the more powder you use in that caliber the shorter the barrel life.
So if you want a barrel to last longer, decide on a caliber and cartridge that uses less powder.
TRUTH,. Here ^^^^ So choose,.. wisely !

Last edited:
My 11yr old son and I built a 6ARC upper for an AR15 and it is alot of fun to shoot. It has a deadair keymo brake, but we typically shoot it suppressed. It has virtually no recoil and once you find brass loading is easy.

I really like the cartridge and plan to buy a bolt gun in 6mm ARC sooner than later. Probably the Ruger American Gen2 once they release the 6ARC version. It will be a fun shooter and double as a light weight deer and javelina rifle when I plan to hike into the nasty stuff and don't want to carry a 10+lbs rifle around.

I have over 2200 rounds on my 6cm with a bartlein 400MODBB barrel. I run 115 DTACS at 3000fps. It has not slowed down in the least bit and still shoots. This was my group at around 2100 rounds
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-20 13:19:29.128329.jpg

Yeah. They'll all do it. I'm thinking I'm going to be building a 6 Dasher within the next year though. Still trying to figure out if I want to use the Savage action I have or buy a custom.
My son and I shot Dashers in 1000 yd benchrest and did well. We were pushing approximately 106 grain bullets any where from 2980 to 3009 fps. Attached is a 5 shot group at a 1000 yds on testing with little wind.

Attachments

• 3C7CDE21-6EC3-436C-974E-E65BEA81D741.jpeg
    3C7CDE21-6EC3-436C-974E-E65BEA81D741.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 52
Yup,.. Barrels ARE, "consumables" for,.. the RICH,..
The 6 GT and, 6 XC, ARE, better choices for almost, the SAME "Performance" with, BETTER Barrel "Life" as,.
Custom Rifles with GOOD Barrels are, expensive to Build and I personally, want MORE than, 1,500 / 1700 rounds of, Accurate,.. Barrel "Life",..
Just Me and, My,.. 2 Cents !
Come on. That is like saying:
35" MT truck tires are a consumable...for the rich. A set of 70k Costco passenger tires ARE a better choice for almost the same "performance" will get you "almost" the same places with longer road life. But when you need the MTs, you NEED them.

If you don't use them often, they will last a long time.
If you don't use them to their full potential, they will last a long time.

If you want increased performance, you have to pay to play. How many people actually shoot one rifle 1k+ per year?

KISS

6mmBR, for your F-Class mid range shooting. You can compete with Lapua factory loads with ease. Call Robert at Alamo Precision, he will build you one like this.

IMG_3293.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg

For a small 6 bolt gun, I'd get something in the 6br family. Small groups seem to be ridiculously easy. For PRS matches and some hunting with plinking a bit, 6 Creedmoor. I have a 6 Creedmoor bolt gun. I run 115 Berger 2840 from a 22" barrel. When I checked the sd spread that charge was the best. I could find another higher node, but the ballistics are fine and I specifically picked low to make the barrel last. I also have a 90 sirrocco load that goes about 2800 for my then 7 year old to use for deer, but I've kept using the load cause it works will enough. I'm a few over 1k on that barrel. It is a PVA Osprey remage barrel. I built a 20" proof 6 Arc. Best accuracy load before pressure with several powders came in at 2530'ish with 108s. Using varget I have pressure problems over 2600. The arc is about 4.6 mils to 600. The creedmoor is about 3.

Come on. That is like saying:
35" MT truck tires are a consumable...for the rich. A set of 70k Costco passenger tires ARE a better choice for almost the same "performance" will get you "almost" the same places with longer road life. But when you need the MTs, you NEED them.

If you don't use them often, they will last a long time.
If you don't use them to their full potential, they will last a long time.

If you want increased performance, you have to pay to play. How many people actually shoot one rifle 1k+ per year?
Bingo.
I started shooting a 6x284 on a 19" rifle to keep below match speed limits. 900 on the first barrel. Around 1200 on the 2nd...but it's a hobby i enjoy.
Built a new rifle with a 6.5 Creed barrel. Still going strong, but recoil was more than I wanted for matches.
Built a 6 Creed with an 18" barrel to run suppressed. 2875 with 115 Dtacs.
Realized most match shooters don't shoot suppressed anymore, so there was no reason for ME to shoot suppressed.
Built a 6 Dasher with a 26" to utilize similar ballistics to my 6 Creed shorty. 115 Dtacs at 2825fps.
Excellent performance but a little slow at 1400+ targets when mirage gets crazy out here in SD.
Built a 25 Creed with 135s at 3000 but the chassis isn't ideal for positional shooting. EXCELLENT for high wind, prone days.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 6 Dasher for calm days with lots of positional shooting, if it's going to be windy out to 1200 or so, I'll grab the 6 Creed instead. 250fps is worth it for some applications...and not worth it for others.
If it's going to be a match out to +1200 with 50/50 prone and positional, I'll shoot the 25 creed.
But, I like being able to grab any one of them whenever I feel like it

I built a 20" proof 6 Arc. Best accuracy load before pressure with several powders came in at 2530'ish with 108s. Using varget I have pressure problems over 2600. The arc is about 4.6 mils to 600.
That seems extremely slow for the 6 ARC. I'm pushing 123gr bullets in an 18" gas gun out of a 6.5 Grendel at those speeds. I'd possibly be looking at a different powder or try to figure out what's wrong.

That seems extremely slow for the 6 ARC. I'm pushing 123gr bullets in an 18" gas gun out of a 6.5 Grendel at those speeds. I'd possibly be looking at a different powder or try to figure out what's wrong.
Oh I could get faster with something like leverrevolution or cfe, but then I'd need to keep more track of the temp. I saw the same thing shooting the factory loads when I first started out. On very hot days, I had pressure problems. But I was close to 2700. Cold days no issue with pressure, but I didn't see the same velocity. Yes I ended up pretty slow for the arc. However, when running varget in a gas gun, I didn't know anyone that was getting great velocities. If there is a better suited temp stable powder, I'd be all for trying

This is extremely interesting guys, Great Thread. 1500 to 1700 rounds not much barrel life for a Target Gun. I wonder how much that number varies from Barrel make to Barrel maker. As BR guys change barrels very frequently , is that something one should just expect when you decide on the 6mm CM??? Should your 6mm CM be set up as a 'Switch Barrel Rifle"?? At 1300 rounds could the "OLD " barrel then be relegated to Hunting Use for Coyotes at 300 to 400 yards and the new pipe become the "Target Barrel." Just wondering.

Recent Posts