6mm creedmoor opinions

At this time I'm unable to measure the chamber with my Hornady comparator tool as I haven't got a modified case, so it's loaded to appx spec coal for the round. 2.82
My understanding is to load the 6 cm to 2.80. No problems feeding from a small action box.

I'm putting together a 6mm build and just settling on a caliber. I was debating between the 6x47 lapua and 6mm creedmoor. The reason the 6mm creedmoor is on the list is for factory ammo. Just nice if you don't have time to reload

I'm putting together a 6mm build and just settling on a caliber. I was debating between the 6x47 lapua and 6mm creedmoor. The reason the 6mm creedmoor is on the list is for factory ammo. Just nice if you don't have time to reload

The reason i chose the creed over 6x47 was the availability of ammunition from Hornady and Copper Creek. Accuracy in my 2 hunting rifles with CC 105 Berger's is .25moa. I get the same accuarcy with Hornady 108 ELD match in my precision rifle.

I have 4 rifles chambered in 6 creedmoor. I absolutely love the round. It is pleasant to shoot without a break and can handle most of my hunting from coyotes to mullie's.

I have never had a "favorite round" that I would recommend but i have found my "favorite round" with the 6 creedmoor. If anyone is looking for a accurate, light recoiling cartridge for themselves or for the kids/wife, and not planning to elk hunt with the rifle, build one. You wont regret it.

The 6mm Creedmoor is the cartridge that the .243 Win. should have been had Winchester actually known what they doing during the design phase of the .243 Win.

The 6mm Creedmoor is the continued evolution of the 'improved' cartridges over the factory designs from yesteryear. It has the right case capacity, the proper shoulder for a good range of powders for efficient powder consumption and it's short enough to allow for the longer heavier bullets to be seated out, freeing up case capacity for performance. There is some exceptionally good factory ammunition available. You can convert Peterson Cartridge Company 6.5 Creedmoor with the small primer pocket by necking down to the 6mm Creedmoor. Yes, you could do the same thing with the Lapua or Peterson .308 Win. cases for the .243 Win. but it takes more steps and more work. Why bother creating an 'also ran' cartridge when the better one is so easy to make. ;):D

In reality, we are fortunate to have such a good selection of 6mm cartridges to cover every adventure we choose to take part in. There is nothing wrong with any of them so long as you have the confidence in your choice to perform up to your needs.

Regards.

Sable have you tried the Peterson brass? Curious about the quality/durability. Also Lapua is making 6.5mm creedmoor brass with the small primer and it was in stock at brownells last time I looked.

Sable have you tried the Peterson brass?

Yes, I bought 50 pieces to test and torture. So far I'm through the third round of reloads on the first ten pieces. I gained just a tiny touch in case capacity after the first loads then everything stabilized. Pockets are all tight and there is no growth in the length. These are not mediocre loads either. I like to run at the highest node for the best velocity vs best accuracy. Extraction is easy, no sticking.

Yes, I bought 50 pieces to test and torture. So far I'm through the third round of reloads on the first ten pieces. I gained just a tiny touch in case capacity after the first loads then everything stabilized. Pockets are all tight and there is no growth in the length. These are not mediocre loads either. I like to run at the highest node for the best velocity vs best accuracy. Extraction is easy, no sticking.
I've also run the Peterson brass and am thoroughly impressed with it for half the price of Lapua in 6.5 CM. Also each 50 pieces come with their own Ammo case for your loads. Nice stuff!

i fail to see how you can move a 100 to 105 at 3,000+ fps out of two different cases (.243 Win & 6 CM for our discussion here) and have one (6CM) give less throat erosion consistently with multiple barrels over the other (.243 Win).

I understand that one type of barrel may last longer then another, but I am talking longer life consistently over various barrel makers. How is this possible with the laws of physics?

T
i fail to see how you can move a 100 to 105 at 3,000+ fps out of two different cases (.243 Win & 6 CM for our discussion here) and have one (6CM) give less throat erosion consistently with multiple barrels over the other (.243 Win).

I understand that one type of barrel may last longer then another, but I am talking longer life consistently over various barrel makers. How is this possible with the laws of physics?
The 6CM uses less powder to throw a 105gr at 3000fps. I'm using 48-50gr in my .243 to get there. Also, the shape of the shoulder on the case seems to have an affect. Like focusing, the gas concentration inside the brass neck vs blasting the throat directly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts