New rifle chambering dilema 6mm, 6.5mm, 6.5PRC

I would do a 6mm Creedmoor for a varmint and deer gun. You could also do elk in shifter ranges with good bullets.

Or if elk really need to be in the mix do the PRC.

If you had the action length slam dunk I'd do a 6/06 with a 7 or 8 twist. If not the length needed then for sure I'd go 6 CM.

Both those 6's will easily handle the chores you're wanting them to do and then some. Darn few shots on elk that I'd pass us to 600 (in the right country) with those 2 rounds!

I've got a rifle at a custom builder waiting for a new barrel and a couple other upgrades. I'd thought I settled on 6mm Creedmoor but I'm having doubts! I suppose for the money I'm spending I hate to Pigeon hole myself with a varmint/deer rig. I can almost make the 6.5 Creedmoor a 6mm with light fast bullets. But the 6.5 PRC would cover all my bases. It's being built in a rem 700 SA. I just want a great all purpose rig. Shooting mostly deer and coyotes 600 yds and in. Any help is appreciated.
IF, it's a Short action ( and .308 Boltface, I presume ?? ) I'd go with the 6.5 Creed for Deer sized Game to, 700 Yards.
130 ELD-M's at over, 2,800 FPS, are what I use, for Steel Practice and, Yotes,..
135 gr, Berger Classic Hunters or, Hornady, 143 gr. ELD-X's, are great for Deer, as both are, "Killers" !
The 6.5 Creed, has at least, 2 or, 3 Times, the Barrel Life of, the 6.5 PRC,.. IF, lots of, serious practice, is on, your List !
Un-less hunting,. Elk / Moose, I'd leave, the PRC, alone ( Just my, 2 cents )

Last edited:

Recent Posts