New Remington 700's

How are the stocks. Before the Bankruptcy that x mark and the synthetic stocks were basically throwaway items. I sure hope they can put a decent product together again.
It depends on what you buy, the cheap ADL's still come in a p*s plastic stocks. The BDL's/CDL'S come in either synthetic or nice wood stocks and the Alpha 1's come in a nice AG Composite stock. I put pillars and filled in the area behind the recoil lug/bedded, and put on a aluminum trigger guard in one of those plastic turds and it shot well and was lightweight. Am sure it still flexed a ton but at least it could be torqued down, you can only polish a turd so much. I gave it to a buddy, he shot a 3x3 buck at 383 yards with it that year in WY.

It depends on what you buy, the cheap ADL's still come in a p*s plastic stocks. The BDL's/CDL'S come in either synthetic or nice wood stocks and the Alpha 1's come in a nice AG Composite stock. I put pillars and filled in the area behind the recoil lug/bedded, and put on an aluminum trigger guard in one of those plastic turds and it shot well and was lightweight. Am sure it still flexed a ton but at least it could be torqued down, you can only polish a turd so much. I gave it to a buddy, he shot a 3x3 buck at 383 yards with it that year in WY.
Absolutely Agree. I polished my SPS Varmint mentioned earlier till there is very little left of the original. Gre tan striker, firing pin, firing pin spring, and shroud, Geisslee Super 700 Trigger, Wyatt's bottom metal and magazine, B and C Medalist m40 stock skim bedded with DevCon, lapped the lugs. Only one was making contact. It'll shoot 5/8 moa out to 800 now which is good. But there is little left that could be done other than truing the action and putting on a new barrel.
I personally hope Remington comes back in a big way. It will take them a while to build some trust again. Shotgun parts from them for the 870, 1100, and 11-87 would top the list of things id love to see. That would help me get some guns out of the door.
I bought my son a Rem. R1 45acp 1911 when he was 12, 9 years ago. Built in a different plant, can't remember which but I think Alabama. That gun is tight, accurate, and has been absolutely stellar.

Last edited:
Oh Lord!! I`ve sworn I`m through buying guns!! My current range rifle is a Savage 12 LRPV in .223 that`s dead on accurate for my gun clubs 550 yard range. Now the club is talking about a 1K range! Being a long standing Remington shooter of many years, what am I to do if the " new " Remington 700s turn out a quality long range variant??
Buy- Buy-Buy!

Look at recoil lug !

This rifle came to me for a rebarrel , brand new,
rifle was won at a fund raising dinner raffle.
if this is an example of they're quality control , or an example of the "care of workmenship" they're employees have , i'll
pass and save for a factory tikka first .
owner tried to trade it at a LGS and was offered $175 towards his purchase .
he figured for that , it Was worth a rebarrel .
criterion heavy sporter in 6.5x284 and a boyds stock .

Attachments

• 26BDB4C5-CBCC-4134-A193-732B4572033F.jpeg
    26BDB4C5-CBCC-4134-A193-732B4572033F.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 111
Look at recoil lug !

if this is an example of they're quality control , or an example of the "care of workmenship" they're employees have , i'll
Yeah I don't like how they don't have anything to index the recoil lug. I would have just loosened it up, straightened it, and retightened.

Look at recoil lug !

The rifle in the picture has a barrel nut. If it's a 700 they don't come from the factory with a barrel nut.

Blaming Remington for someone else's shoddy build work is like blaming Ford for an engine build they didn't do.
I think he's claiming it came from the factory that way, but since it's a used rifle we don't know if it did. And we don't know the vintage, it could be a bankruptcy rifle. In any case if he's going to rebarrel it anyways no big deal. I'd reset the barrel and lug and shoot it. Then see how it performs. Comparing a $175 rifle to a $900 rifle seems,..... well lol.