New LR Rig Has Arrived!

I spoke with several guys, including jpeaston, shooting QMM rifles before ordering. I also spent a lot of time speaking with Scott Harrold-Mr.QMM. All the guys I spoke with gave him very good references, and I will too. I place my order late last fall and the rifle was here in less than 6 months. They had all the components on hand to build on a Remington or BAT solid bottom action, but it only took a few days to find the BAT HR. The test target that came with the rifle is 1.24" at 400 yards. I'm going out to a place I can shoot past 1K this weekend and see what I can do.
scott e. I have the same reticle you are thinking of. If you search that reticle on this site there is an old thread that has a picture of the reticle looking through the scope.
My rifle is #24 on the QMM site.

The rifle has shot GREAT! I took around a dozen marmots over 900 yards, the longest 2 being 1108 and 1156 yards. I was trying to get one at 1380, but he would not stop moving. When he finally disappeared I fired at marmot sized rock where he had been standing, and hit the left edge of it. Next years ground hog goal is 1320 yards, the 3/4 mile mark. What's left after that but the mile mark.
As for the ART reticle, I have not used it enough to say much more than it seems to work fine. Mostly I am still twisting turrets... old habit.

how do you like the greybull stock? does anyone know what actions they inlet for? doesn't say on their website.....

The rifle has shot GREAT! I took around a dozen marmots over 900 yards, the longest 2 being 1108 and 1156 yards. I was trying to get one at 1380, but he would not stop moving. When he finally disappeared I fired at marmot sized rock where he had been standing, and hit the left edge of it. Next years ground hog goal is 1320 yards, the 3/4 mile mark. What's left after that but the mile mark.
As for the ART reticle, I have not used it enough to say much more than it seems to work fine. Mostly I am still twisting turrets... old habit.
Very nice work!

How much does your rifle weigh, just rifle by itself?

Thanks,

Scot E.

Rifle by itself must be about 11 lbs. With Badger Max 50 rings and S&B 4-16x50 it weighs 13.5 on the bathroom scale... very accurate measuring instrument you know.

I don't think the inquiry about Greybull stocks was directed my way, but that is the same stock I am using. I am very happy with the stock. It is wide enough to ride a bag well, and still narrow enough I can carry it in one hand. Not sure what actions it will accommodate, but it does work very nice with my BAT HR.

I am finding that when I start pushing 1400 yards, 16 power is struggling. I am going to try one of the Bulzeye boosters next year. Going to have to get a small hand held computer as well. My G7 BR2 only gives solutions out to 1400.
Next it will be a Vectronix rangefinder, then I suppose a .338 something when the 7 mag runs out of steam. This is a vicious circle.

I just had a good laugh... on myself. It's been so long since I visited this thread I didn't realize it was about MY rifle. Had to go back to the first page to see. Duh-Oh!

The thread is a bit old but I see that you answered a few questions of mine. I didnt go with the grey bull not because I wasn't willing to give it a try but just because Im north of the border and it was going to be a PITA to get it compared to a mcmillian.
Im shooting the same setup without the tight neck in a 26.5 inch tube. I'm .1 grain under bergers max with retumbo for the 180's and getting 2970 fps at sea level. How is that long barrel working for your speeds.
You are dead on about the vicious cycle - im already planning a 7mm practical for the upcoming 195 Berger.

The builder of the rifle, Scott Harrold Quarter Minute Magnums, sent the rifle with load data. I am shooting 64.3 gr. H4831SC. This is 3 grains over what Hodgden data shows as max. No pressure signs in my rifle. I'm getting 2980 fps at about 6000' elevation.
I've got back surgery coming up in the next few months with over 10K out of pocket before we get started. Man, there goes another good rifle... but that isn't stopping me from planning for a couple more.
The 195 Berger could be the bullet to build around, for the next level past what the 180 is doing.

Very nice shooting! I can't believe the similarity to my 30/375 S.I. with a BAT HR, Greybull stock, Jewell trigger, Krieger barrel, Melonite, etc. Two great minds with but a single thought:D.......Rich

Attachments

• DSCF0045.jpg
    DSCF0045.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 49
Woops! I just noticed that I posted the wrong rifle pic. Let's try this one

Attachments

• DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 69
Well, they are both beautiful looking rigs in my mind! But better yet they shoot like a dream! I will take either when you guys are ready to move on to another build!:D

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.