New here......Help me build a Tack Driver??

G.G. thanks for posting those pics for me. sorry I'm too computer dislexic to do it myself. 7mmrhb.

Before you go off and make a decsion that you will not be happy w/in the long run, you might want to read this post(my posts in particular):

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post57555

I now realize what a dumb *** I was. I went from thinking that shooting the 125 gr @ 4000 fps 1 year ago was the end all b/c it was flat shooting to shooting a 240 smk @ 2850 fps. This decsion was made after hanging around here and absorbing lots of info around here.

Listen to what these guys say. Some of them actually know what they're talking about!!!!

7mmRHB,

Great looking case design, nearly identical to my Allen Xpress rounds but of different caliber.

I do have one question though. If you were to build a fast twist version now on a completely accurized Rem 700, would you go with the Dakota case as it would be vastly easier to form cases for.

The reason I ask is because opening a bolt fact up slightly is a 30 second job during the accurizing process when your truing the bolt face anyway.

Also, its reported that Lapua will be making Dakota brass here very soon, which is always a good thing!!!

Just curious. Again, great performance.

I suspect your round stuffed with a 200 gr ULD RBBT would deliever some shock and awe at ranges WAY past the 1K mark!!

Here a look at my 6.5mm Allen Xpress based on the 300 Dakota with a 2.550" case length and 3.400" OAL.

337164.jpg

Flanking it is a 264 Win Mag on the left and my 270 AM on the right.

Kirby Allen(50)

You will notice in the pics ss7mm posted comparing the 200 gr ULD RBBT to the 160 gr Accubond that the full diameter body length of each bullet is nearly identical.

This means that both bullets have roughly the same baring surface area that contacts the bore. One fear people had with the idea of a 200 gr ULD RBBT was the huge increase in baring surface, this is simply not the case as you can see in the pics.

To that same point, look at the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT baring surface compared to the 160 Accubond, MUCH less. Less bullet contacting the bore means less friction and fouling, all other things equal.

Again, it really does not matter what chambering you decide on. If you want the highest velocity, the 7mm AM is hard to beat. If you want longer barrel life, personally the 7mm RHB would be hard to beat or the STW or WSM as well.

Point being, if you use a 1-7 twist barrel and the 200 gr ULD RBBT, the bullet will do the work for you at long range, not the power of the round so much.

If you can get at least 2800 fps with this bullet it will be extremely potent at long to extreme range.

I am currently trying to talk Richard Graves into more weight in a 7mm bullet for my Allen Mag. The 1-7 twist is actually more then we really need but it will work in all conditions we have tested so far.

SOmething like a 210-225 gr 7mm bullet would be great. Personally I would be happy with a FB Bonded Core design with a BC similiar to the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

Makes a long range hunter sit in AWE thinking about a 225 gr Bonded Core FBHP in a 7mm zipping out the barrel at 3200 fps with a BC of around .900 or so..............

Yes thats a sectional density of .399!!!!!!!!! Think anything would stop it on this side of the ponds???

Anyway, point is you do not have to build a 7mm AM to shoot the 200 gr ULD RBBT. I would greatly appreciate it but there are alot of 7mm magnums that would be greatly enhanced ballistically by a fast barrel and this bullet. The nice thing is that the ACcubonds still shoot extremely well in a fast twist barrel, as do the Ballistic Tips and any bonded core or partition style bullet.

Good Shooting,

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, your case looks very familiar.It's proven to be a very efficiant case design for me. I'm betting it will be the same for you. If the case dimentions are close to what I've done with the reamer for the Rem. brass,the Lapua brass would be the way to go.That being said I have no complaints about the brass I have. Thanks for your interest.7mmrhb

Easy---do like I do but it helps that his shop is only 10 miles from my house! Call Speedy at SG&Y he has only cut my chamber and sizing die so far with the reemer. The 338 Lapua AI shot 50 rounds fire forming the brass in about 2 inches at 100yds and that was with the first ten breaking in the barrel being cleaned every shot then every five until all 50 were fired. Can't wait to get the die out of heat treat and Speedy finish the internal polish to start load development! SG&Y builds my competition rifles as well and I have spent many hours at their shop and can tell you that the attention to detail is absolute.

I am in the Aerospace Industry and have been in some of the best machine shops on the planet because of my job and can tell you this--Speedy and Stick are some of the best--maybe that's why Speedy is in the Bench Rest Hall Of Fame-he builds his own guns as well--imagine that.

thanks everyone, fiftydriver you have email.

ss7MM, I would love to just see this gun and craftsmanship because it looks incredible. My father and I would like to drive up sometime so whenever you have a day off or something just shoot me a Pm. I understand the heavier bullets with the higher .BC is best, but I had no idea there was a 7mm, 200 grain bullet available. I understand that heavier bullets buck the wind better and have better characterisitics. People shoot 300 SMK bullets for this exact reason over, a 225 bullet at 3400 FPS, I understand this concept.

ss7mm and Kirby, The nesika actioned rifle pictured earlier looks stunning...would one of you be kind enough to PM me the full spec if you still have it to hand...many thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If anyone has fiftydrivers phone number I would really like to get ahold of him, thank.

also I am having a hard time finding those 200 grain wildcat bullets.

ss7MM, what is the process for reloading the 7mm AM, forming brass and dies.

traks44:

Kirby is in Canada hunting whitetails now with Richard so just send him an e-mail at ( [email protected] ) and he'll get back to you as soon as he can.

You can get the Wildcat bullets either from Kirby or from Richard Graves direct. You can contact Richard at ( [email protected] ). He has been tied up with harvest and is hunting now but he'll get back to you as soon as he can. Jackets and bullet supply in the 200 gr. 7mm size has been a problem but Richard has that solved and the supply should be back to normal in the near future. They'll be even better than before.

As far as forming the 7mm AM cases go, we do it with a Redding 338 Lapua comp neck bushing die and by using 4 different bushings to take it down to the tension and shape needed for fire forming. Die sets for the 7mm AM are available from Kirby and the 338 comp neck die is available from several different sources. I got my 338 die and bushings from Midway.

Absolutely GORGEOUS....but....THE BOLTS ON THE WRONG SIDE!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

RMulhern, and all lefties out there:

I guess I forgot to mention that I had Kirby build two versions, one right handed and one left handed. Here are pics of the left handed version.

343929.jpg

343930.jpg

Before you take this too seriously, these are only mirrored images of the originals. I just thought you might like to see what it would have looked like in a left handed version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.