Help me pick caliber for new build

After looking at your collection, I would think you would want another shortmag. 7MM most likely since you have a 338, a 300 shortmag is kinda redundant.

Title say's it all "Help me pick caliber for new build" I got an itch to start a new build help me pick a caliber. Average shooting distance is 700 yards and under. Below is what I currently have for calibers.

22-250 1 in 8 twist
6.5 creedmoor (daughter's rifle)
6.5-284
30-06 rem 7600 ( not going anywhere family heirloom)
338 Sherman shortmag
I love the ballistics of the 7mm. Out to 700 yards you don't need to go crazy. 7mm rm., 280AI -- 300 wm would work too. Since you have no 7mm.....

I love the ballistics of the 7mm. Out to 700 yards you don't need to go crazy. 7mm rm., 280AI -- 300 wm would work too. Since you have no 7mm.....
Yep that's why ordered the curtis long action and proof barrel chambered in the 7mm Sherman Shortmag today:cool::)

6mm Creedmoor

I've recently been eyeing this new kid on the block and now that a few rifle makers are coming out with factory built models for it, I'm probably gonna "pull the trigger" and get one. Savage has their 110 chambered for the 6mm Crdmr and runs a 26" barrel with 1:8 twist...more than capable for spitting out those 100 to 110 grain pills...whoa !!!!

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/model-110/110-tactical-desert

700 yards and over I would look at a 270 or 7mm with 1:8 twist in a short action magnum of some type (Sherman, WSM, SAUM). The 170 and 195 EOLs make these two options one of the best combination of low recoil, high BC/SD option available. Would have no problem out to 1000 yards. For 700 yards and less you could consider one of the heavy copper solids. The 270 is often overlooked but the 170 EOL was a game changer for the 270 magnums.
270 and 7mm WSM with EOLs
E75B86DF-CD4F-4702-8748-47FE3CBE9A65.jpeg

Attachments

• 77A58EBD-B709-4B43-ABD7-D7763AC420E4.jpeg
    77A58EBD-B709-4B43-ABD7-D7763AC420E4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 60
28 Nosler with 195 EOL Bergers is a killing unit!
I love big 30's and 338's but I find myself going to 28 Nosler more and more! My Carbon 28 from MOA rifles claimed 4 elk this year 2 of which were shot by other hunters who to elk past 500y and they had never shot the gun before or ever taken any big game past 250 yards!

It was just announced on the internet, the usmc is going with the 300 win mag for their new sniper rifle. That should say a lot.
Seriously with todays optics a 270, 280 7 mmrem mag , just to name a few. Don't forget the shermans either. Set your scope up and let her rip

I am sure it will be with the Navy Issued Mk 248 Mod 1. Funny enough 20 years ago I was loading Siera 190gr. .308 bullets with compressed loads of IMR4350. Not because IMR4350 was the best powder for the job but because I had 8lbs. of it and was a poor college student. Guess what I was hunting? Elk in Colorado and Moose and Caribou in Canada. For Deer I was using Barnes Solid X-Bullets I think 168gr. and those where compressed loads too. For the record I had kept working up looking for pressure signs but I started with loads from my Sierra Reloading Manual from that time. That said I had everything Sierra, Barnes, and Swift made from 150gr. to 190gr.

The Rifle was a Browning A-Bolt with Boss in 300Win Mag.

I always thought that the Army made the best choice by using a long action even for use with 7,62 NATO and all the "Match" ammo and the like since they could also go up to any larger magnum down the road is they wanted too. I thought it was kind of silly to limit yourself to a short action the way the Marines did.

I also liked the 30/338 Win Mag that they played around with too. I like having options and the second you limit the action length you limit seating depth too which is a huge problem today for people wanting to load VLD 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm projectiles. You end having to make a huge jump to engage the rifling because of mag box limitations.

So I settled building a lightweight 280 ai or 7ss ,but my new dilemma is I won a ruger american 1 in 8 twist 22-250 ( i already have one fast twist 22-250) last night do i sell it or rebarrel it. if i rebarrel it what caliber should i go with my daughter already has the 6.5 creedmoor so I'd like to do something different than that. What's everyone's thoughts
I'd give it to the daughter if she wants it or sell it to help fund the new project.

I am sure it will be with the Navy Issued Mk 248 Mod 1. Funny enough 20 years ago I was loading Siera 190gr. .308 bullets with compressed loads of IMR4350. Not because IMR4350 was the best powder for the job but because I had 8lbs. of it and was a poor college student. Guess what I was hunting? Elk in Colorado and Moose and Caribou in Canada. For Deer I was using Barnes Solid X-Bullets I think 168gr. and those where compressed loads too. For the record I had kept working up looking for pressure signs but I started with loads from my Sierra Reloading Manual from that time. That said I had everything Sierra, Barnes, and Swift made from 150gr. to 190gr.

The Rifle was a Browning A-Bolt with Boss in 300Win Mag.

I always thought that the Army made the best choice by using a long action even for use with 7,62 NATO and all the "Match" ammo and the like since they could also go up to any larger magnum down the road is they wanted too. I thought it was kind of silly to limit yourself to a short action the way the Marines did.

I also liked the 30/338 Win Mag that they played around with too. I like having options and the second you limit the action length you limit seating depth too which is a huge problem today for people wanting to load VLD 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm projectiles. You end having to make a huge jump to engage the rifling because of mag box limitations.
A long action makes for near endless options and possibilities for the future.

700 yards and over I would look at a 270 or 7mm with 1:8 twist in a short action magnum of some type (Sherman, WSM, SAUM). The 170 and 195 EOLs make these two options one of the best combination of low recoil, high BC/SD option available. Would have no problem out to 1000 yards. For 700 yards and less you could consider one of the heavy copper solids. The 270 is often overlooked but the 170 EOL was a game changer for the 270 magnums.
270 and 7mm WSM with EOLsView attachment 114804
Wow. I only glossed over 270 cal. I did not realize they made 170 grain bullets with that kind of BC!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.