New build, 7mm rem mag?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'll attempt to address the effects of twist rate and bullet weight in 7mm relating to terminal performance at longer distances.

708-280-7RM-7PRC-280Nosler are all effected in a similar manner to specific twist rates with specific bullet weights. Light bullets need slow twist, heavy bullets require faster twist.

Bullet weight determines how fast any rifle can push the bullet out of the barrel. Lighter bullets go faster than heavier bullets in the same caliber.

My calculator says, 180gr bullets drop below 2000fps (terminal performance) closer than the 160-168gr bullets based on how fast either can be pushed, using BCs common to each weight. I assume this is the same across ALL 7mm as it's basic physics. Gravity takes its toll.

In my rifle (280AI) I am looking for 2000fps+ at 600yds for hunting. I can not get there with a 180, but i can get there with 160-168. Yardage will differ with other variants of 7mms but it's the same principle with any rifle.

"What's the difference with steel".. HUGE. When playing with steel, it really doesn't matter how fast it is going when it contacts the steel.. who cares it just goes "ding". The super high BC 180, 190 or 210 have a wind advantage in that game.

In hunting impact velocity is critical, it's a balance of velocity and bullet weight. Bigger is not always better at longer ranges. Therefore twist rate selection becomes important to the distance you want to be able to make ethical kills.
As has been noted, running various bullets through a ballistic calculator can assist in selecting twist rates for a particular application.
Yes I think we all know the general idea of twist rates and how they relate to bullet weights. My question is in regards to a 280 shooting 168s vs. a 7rm throated long for 180s? Even a 7RM in SAAMI form will out-do a 280 with any bullet. That being said, the OP is looking to build a 7RM to shoot 180s not a 280 to shoot 168s. Even if he ran 168s he would be out running the 280.. making it stay above 2000fps much longer, making it bang not only steel but game much harder and farther than a 280....

The point I'm making is I think you're just clouding up the thread for the OP. The 7RM he's building makes all your points (although valid) kind of moot. Because it will in fact out do the 280. It will be better at terminal performance, kinetic energy and velocity with a heavier bullet than the 280 can do. It will bang steel and animals harder at longer ranges with heavier bullets.

The diminished returns you refer to with 180s is in regards to a chamber the OP isn't interested in. Gravity takes its toll on mid weight projectiles in the 280 much faster than it does on the 7RM.

Last edited:
In reality I probably would not be looking at shooting over 500 yards at any game animal and definitely do not want to get into that debate.
I'm not sure why you would want to get all lathered up trying to do a heavy for caliber load. 500 and in would be fast and flat for me. Heavy for caliber and high bc equals over 500.

Yes I think we all know the general idea of twist rates and how they relate to bullet weights. My question is in regards to a 280 shooting 168s vs. a 7rm throated long for 180s? Even a 7RM in SAAMI form will out-do a 280 with any bullet. That being said, the OP is looking to build a 7RM to shoot 180s not a 280 to shoot 168s. Even if he ran 168s he would be out running the 280.. making it stay above 2000fps much longer, making it bang not only steel but game much harder and farther than a 280....

The point I'm making is I think you're just clouding up the thread for the OP. The 7RM he's building makes all your points (although valid) kind of moot. Because it will in fact out do the 280. It will be better at terminal performance, kinetic energy and velocity with a heavier bullet than the 280 can do. It will bang steel and animals harder at longer ranges with heavier bullets.

The diminished returns you refer to with 180s is in regards to a chamber the OP isn't interested in. Gravity takes its toll on mid weight projectiles in the 280 much faster than it does on the 7RM.

Well, I have to correct you… we shoot our "Cinderella" as the spec is called throated for 175 GR. ABLR's @ 3,130 FPS and the 150 Gr ABLR @ 3,285 through a 26" Bartlein 5R barrel… 7RM really doesn't have anything over it but extra recoil 🤷🏻‍♂️

My 26" will 180s in the 3200s...My SAAMI 24" is in the 3120-3150 range. Throated long it would deff shine brighter. So, close but not so much as far as correcting me haha. Your 280 is deff not the rule. It would be hard pressed to expect 3120 out of a 280. With a 7rm it's deff not. With everything there is always exceptions. You sir are an exception. As said before my words are generalizations. I'd deff not expect to run 180s over 3100 in a 280. Generally, if you want those kind of numbers you're gonna need a bit more "recoil"

Last edited:
If you are set on using a Shilen, then yes 1:8" is the twist I would go with. If you go with another, you could go up to 1:8.7 (Bartlein) and be fine shooting the heavy bullets.
For the stock, I would recommend a vertical (or close) grip and something with a negative comb.
Bottom metal for a hunter should either be a flush DBM (Hawkins Hunter) or a BDL style. If you want to shoot heavies with a BDL, use a Wyatts box and follower.
I would go with a Trigger Tech Special over a Timney, but that is just me.
I too recommend the Trigger Tech triggers. They are "the bomb". 👍👍

And my point is with (3) 7RM's already, mentioning he was looking for a lighter rifle does he want another magnum or will a super efficient non-magnum suffice? my question to him really… Cheers Southpa 🥃

And my point is with (3) 7RM's already, mentioning he was looking for a lighter rifle does he want another magnum or will a super efficient non-magnum suffice? my question to him really… Cheers Southpa 🥃
Cheers to you my friend and thanks for the reply. I don't recall him looking for a lighter rifle. But whats wrong with having 4 of the 7RMs😁😁😁😁. 3 are already in then lightweight category. Personally i think a properly throated 7RM to run 180s is pretty unbeatable. Plus recoil is almost insignificant with today's brakes. My wife can shoot a 300wm and spot impacts so.....

We shoot everything suppressed so it's not an issue here, but that's not the case for everyone. I'm going to click it off here, I threw out a viable option and the first thing on his list was lightweight… shoot straight, keep your powder dry

I Have been shooting the 7 Rem mags in Remington 700s since 1978, have had a dozen 700s at least, and so have brothers and cousins in A bolts and Savage 110. Now running customs. Weird that I have never seen any issue with the Belt even with 7 STWs and 300 Winchester. I full-length size every firing, and there are differences between RCBS, Redding body sizer, Wilson bushing sizer, if that has anything to do with eliminating any problem, I just don't know. The 7 Mag full-length sizer that has worked for decades is an RCBS FULL-length sizer made in '79(stamped on the top of the die). Seems that the dimensions made that year and prior may be a tad smaller than later dies. This '79 FL sizer produces some unbelievable groups, hard to believe. I also have Wilson Bushing press FL sizer and Forster FL sizers.

We all have ideas on what bullet we would like to shoot, it is a hobby, and after all, if you put the bullet where it should go, the animal will be dead.

I shoot the 180g ELD-Match in a custom 280 Remington at 2700 just for giggles and grins(bullet has never blown up at this speed), have another 280 Rem that I shoot the 168 Berger in at 2900, and a 280 AI where I shoot the 175g Nosler Accoubonds(sorted by ogive length, seated .003 off the lands) into dot groups. I shot these heavier bullets due to how they put deer on the ground with little to no running, shot from any angle.

In my custom 7 mags, I have two loads with the 180g Bergers, one using R#22 that just shoots dot size groups at 2850 fps, and another that shoots dot groups with R#26 at 3030 fps with .210 freebore with Wyattls mag box. If I want more speed, I go to a 7 STW and 28 Nosler, which both shoot the 180's at 3150 fps and 165-168 at 3300 with Wyatts mag box, with one heck of a lot more powder than the 7 mag.

While we are using heavier bullets, I will mention that I have a friend who is Flagstaff who is a modern-day Daniel Boone, rides mules and shoots nothing but the 120g Barnes TSX in his 7 mag. You could not imagine the elk, deer, lions, bears, and javelina that have been killed with the 120g TSX. I watched him shoot a big buck in it's bed, ranged at 620 yards which was on the opposite ridge.

I believe that as you jack up the RPM, you also increase the tendency for a cup and core bullet to shed the jacket in an animal, which could be a good or bad thing, experience will be your teacher in this issue.

Of all these cartridges that I have, the newest is the 280 Rem, set up to shoot the 180g eld Match, with its very high bc, it never ceases to amaze me, and everyone who shoots the gun(600 yards). This load only shoots a smidge of powder compared to all the rest, while the BC makes up for some loss of speed. The main thing with this load is that deer flop hard and fast.

I think that it is great for all the guys on this board to share their opinions and experiences without personal attacks. I mention the above because the internet promotes the fastest twist with the heaviest high bc bullet without evaluating the merits of Such. For the new guys, learn to use a ballistics program, evaluate the Bullet characteristics at various RPMs, then start picking your twist rate, and throat length in the chamber you pick. Always, always consider the mag box length for the cartridge you choose.

Hay all,
Looking for a little insight from the forum.
My gunsmith is going to build me a custom 7mm rem mag.
It will be my primary hunting rifle. Looking for light weight, ergonomic, accurate rifle.
I have three stock 7mm rem mags that have been good to me but just want something that feels perfect. Or close to it.
My best accuracy load in all 3 guns is relatively close to the same. 20-55 off lands depending on rifle, 70 grains H1000, 160g Accubonds, Federal 215. They all run +/- 3000fps.
All 3 guns are 9" and 9.5" twist. 2 24" barrels and 1 26" barrel.
Now that I can choose twist and length it opens up the fact that I could shoot a heavy bullet, shorten barrel, longer barrel, muzzle break, can, whatever. I am just looking for input.
In reality I probably would not be looking at shooting over 500 yards at any game animal and definitely do not want to get into that debate. LOL.
I will be hunting Deer, Elk, Moose and Antelope with this rifle. Many have been killed shooting the 160 g Accubonds but I am open to other bullets and weights if there is a benefit.

Trying not to make any unnecessary mistakes on having my first custom rifle done.

We ordered a Valhalla Long action.

Thinking,
Shilen #3 in 8" "can shoot heavy bullets if needed. Just not sure if it's needed."?
McMillan, Game warden?
Bottom plate?
Timney trigger

Any input is appreciated!

Thank you,
John
I would change your trigger to a Trigger Tech Diamond, you can adjust this below 1lb, they are smooth and I run mine at 1.5lbs, it breaks clean no travel. As for Bottom metal, it depends on what your action is cut out for, if it can take a Wyatt's Extended mag I would use Hawkins M5 Obendorf BDL, if not then see if the Hawkins Hunter DBM will work. As for a stock, so many choices, I would look for the lightest possible stock, something with a Carbon Shell, Manners, AG Composite, I have a McMillan A3 Sporter, if I had known then what I know now, I would not have made that choice. The Toe angle on the A3, Game Warden, Game Scout etc, are no good while sitting in a bag, the recoil will cause the muzzle to rise significantly versus one with no toe angle in the stock. So, something else for you to consider. Enjoy the process, when all is said and done you will have a rifle built to your specs and will enjoy it more than any of your other rifles. Then get ready, because you scratched that itch, it will spread. 😁

I forgot to mention, if me in the 7mm Mag, my bullet choices would be between 168gr Berger up to the 180gr. I would probably settle on the 175gr Berger. In my opinion, with the powder charge of a 7 mag, those would be the optimal size bullets I would use. I have a 28 Nosler to push the 180 and 195 class bullets past 3k to etch out every bit of it's BC.