new 7mm rem mag advice

A good rule of thumb is that if you are using over 60gr of powder, or will be hunting in weather below freezing, or both, use a Magnum primer.

Being that I live in Montana, I use Magnum primers in all my hunting rifles. Federal GM215M to be exact. Even with Magnum primers, I still have had one misfire, but thankfully it was when I was trying to finish off a Mule deer buck that was not dying as fast as I thought to be humane.
Gun went "click". I counted to TEN-ONE THOUSAND while keeping the barrel in a safe direction, ejected the round, verified primer was properly struck (it was), then I threw the round as far as I possibly could down the mountain while taking cover behind a tree. Loaded another round and finished the buck off.

Great tip! I wasnt aware of using magnum primers for colder weather areas..Im gonna have alot of cold deer seasons from this fall on and nobody wants to freeze all day to hear a click and no boom

I was shooting a 30-06 with CCI BR2 primers. I us my had any problems wih the bench rest primers, but maybe the imr 4831 and large rifle primers are a poor combo. Maybe it needs magnum primers?!?!

I use CCI BR2 and H4831SC in my .270 AI pushing 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (as my accuracy load at least for now) in Montana weather without any problems.

I use CCI BR2 and H4831SC in my .270 AI pushing 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (as my accuracy load at least for now) in Montana weather without any problems.

As we both know, Montana hunting seasons can sometimes get pretty cold, but I guarantee that with a 175gr bullet in a case as small as a 270 Winchester, your powder charge is well below 60gr. Plus you are using Short Cut. The light powder charge and short extruded kernels are both an advantage for good ignition in any weather. I doubt you will ever have the need for a magnum primer.

There are exceptions to the rule... Actually it's just more of a suggestion :)

As we both know, Montana hunting seasons can sometimes get pretty cold, but I guarantee that with a 175gr bullet in a case as small as a 270 Winchester, your powder charge is well below 60gr. Plus you are using Short Cut. The light powder charge and short extruded kernels are both an advantage for good ignition in any weather. I doubt you will ever have the need for a magnum primer.

There are exceptions to the rule... Actually it's just more of a suggestion :)

Yep, you're right on ... and it's 58gr. :D

Has anyone tried the swift scirocco 150s in their 7mms? Ive read abd heard lots of good things about them.. They have a pretty good bc too..i am going to buy a box of the rem factory loads with them to see if they shoot in my gun and try to replicate loads if they are decent

Has anyone tried the swift scirocco 150s in their 7mms? Ive read abd heard lots of good things about them.. They have a pretty good bc too..i am going to buy a box of the rem factory loads with them to see if they shoot in my gun and try to replicate loads if they are decent

I think you will be happier with a Berger 168 VLD...

I think you will be happier with a Berger 168 VLD...

Im not saying i wont ever change to a diff bullet down the road but for the time being i would think the scirocco shouldwork decent.. Itll be a little while before i can afford to dive into reloading. The vld is on my list of bullets to try when i can get a range set up that the bc differences would matter

Welcome to the site. I have good luck using Berger 180s in my 7mag over Retumbo and CCI BR2 primers. Average velocity is 2905 out of a 26 inch barrel. It ultimately will come down to what shoots best in your barrel, and there are enough good bullets out there for you to find one that will perform well. On your scope setup, if you find your elevation insufficient, switch to Burris Zee rings with the offset inserts and pickup another 10 to 20 moa vertical, and also get centered for windage without getting out of optical center of your scope. I saw one reply that mentioned trigger adjustment- give Darrel Holland's "Dwell Time" article a read through. I backed off the overtravel screw and tried a before/after comparison. Now all my rifles have plenty of overtravel, and that is what works best for me.

Welcome to the site. I have good luck using Berger 180s in my 7mag over Retumbo and CCI BR2 primers. Average velocity is 2905 out of a 26 inch barrel. It ultimately will come down to what shoots best in your barrel, and there are enough good bullets out there for you to find one that will perform well. On your scope setup, if you find your elevation insufficient, switch to Burris Zee rings with the offset inserts and pickup another 10 to 20 moa vertical, and also get centered for windage without getting out of optical center of your scope. I saw one reply that mentioned trigger adjustment- give Darrel Holland's "Dwell Time" article a read through. I backed off the overtravel screw and tried a before/after comparison. Now all my rifles have plenty of overtravel, and that is what works best for me.

If you don't mind sharing or me asking, but what is your powder charge with Retumbo? I'm really interested. Thanks! Oh! An also I'm with Muddrunner on the VLD's.

DT

If you don't mind sharing or me asking, but what is your powder charge with Retumbo? I'm really interested. Thanks! Oh! An also I'm with Muddrunner on the VLD's.

DT

Im not against vld's, i just wont have the option to reload til i have more available funds, and i the only factory options ive seen for vld is by hsm and i dont have much faith in them.. So im going to try the remington factory loaded 150 scirocco and get by for awhile until i can piece together all my supplies

Im not against vld's, i just wont have the option to reload til i have more available funds, and i the only factory options ive seen for vld is by hsm and i dont have much faith in them.. So im going to try the remington factory loaded 150 scirocco and get by for awhile until i can piece together all my supplies

I compleatley understand, now that I went back a reread the tread! Sorry! We was just putting it out there for ya!:)! Another option that you might want to try is Blackhills ammo. Man that stuff really works!

I compleatley understand, now that I went back a reread the tread! Sorry! We was just putting it out there for ya!:)! Another option that you might want to try is Blackhills ammo. Man that stuff really works!

Ive looked around at their offerings too.. The remington stuff is available locally so i can do a little testing easier.. But i plan to try a few options unless the sciroccos shoot awesome

I trust EVERY ammo manufacturer over Remington brand ammo... I have my reasons, and after this past season, my uncle also now feels the same way. He lost a 10pt buck and a missed a coyote at 60 yards because of crappy Rem Accutip ammo, with his .30-06 that he's never had any issues with in the 30 years he's owned it and hunted with it. He taught me how to hunt, so his shooting skills are not in question, although he does get ****ed because I can out-shoot him. :D

Anyway, I would highly recommend Nosler, Federal Premium, Hornady, and even Winchester factory ammo.

I've also never liked Swift bullets either... But that's just my opinion.

I refuse to shoot Remington ammo, but I love their guns.

I trust EVERY ammo manufacturer over Remington brand ammo... I have my reasons, and after this past season, my uncle also now feels the same way. He lost a 10pt buck and a missed a coyote at 60 yards because of crappy Rem Accutip ammo, with his .30-06 that he's never had any issues with in the 30 years he's owned it and hunted with it. He taught me how to hunt, so his shooting skills are not in question, although he does get ****ed because I can out-shoot him. :D

Anyway, I would highly recommend Nosler, Federal Premium, Hornady, and even Winchester factory ammo.

I've also never liked Swift bullets either... But that's just my opinion.

I refuse to shoot Remington ammo, but I love their guns.

What dont you like about the swift bullets? Just curious as i havent used them before myself, but see many positive reviews

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.