New 7mm Rem mag. custom

Hello I have decided that I want a new custom rifle in 7mm rem mag. And I was thinking about using a 26 Shilen barrel and a McMillen stock. Is there any-way I could improve this and what action should I use?gun)?gun)?

Well you can pick from any of the 700 or mod 70 actions/clones for a great start.

You might want to consider adding 2" of barrel.

If it's going to be a dedicated bench type LR rig go with a full bull, if not and you are going to be packing it think of a light varmint contour.

Great choice of Caliber BTW although if it's going to be a dedicated LR rig you might consider the 7mm STW instead. You can easily pick up 200 FPS over the 7mm mag by going the STW route shooting the exact same bullets and once you get past 800yds that can make a pretty big difference especially on big bodied deer or elk.

well I'm only shooting to 500 yards on deer and an occosioonal elk so I'm not worried about being under-gunned. Also I really don't want any more recoil then the 7 mag and I'll be carrying this around so any more weight is'nt necessary. And for any1 shooting a 7mm magnum ofany kind the berger bullets are awesomegun)!!

If your only shooting out to 500, you really don't need a custom rig. If you just want one though, I would go with a savage action, 26 inch criterion light varmint barrel, mcmillian A5 stock, sharp shooter supply competition trigger.

I am having a 7 rem mag built and in fact am dropping off all my parts to the gunsmith the second week in January. I am using a rem 700 action, mcm A-5 stock (got a really good deal on this stock if buying new I would get MCM A-3 or manners T2), rock creek barrel in rem varmint contour to finish at 26", jewell HVR trigger and DE cheek piece. I talked to the smith about shilen barrels and he said run away from them. They can make a good barrel but are relying on the name and that others have surpased them in quality. He recommended Broughton, rockcreek and krieger I believe, Im sure on the first two but not krieger. I got the barrel from bugholes.com good way to get a barrel without the wait from the barrel makers.

Last edited:
I'm having 7mm RM built also now by (Sponsor) Kevin Cram at Montour County Custom Rifles. Accuracy International 2.0 stock, Stiller Predator Action –w- 20 MOA Pinned Picatinny Rail, Brux (fluted six straight) 1-9 twist #10 finished @ 30", 3 port Muscle brake, Jewel Trigger.
I've never used a Brux but speaking with Kevin their precision quality is outstanding so I'm really looking forward to the test drive…

Kevin won't steer you wrong. We went a little different route. Converted my 7mag to a 280AI. Supper accurate, less powder and similar speeds.

Hello I have decided that I want a new custom rifle in 7mm rem mag. And I was thinking about using a 26 Shilen barrel and a McMillen stock. Is there any-way I could improve this and what action should I use?gun)?gun)?

One of my 7mags has a 24" #4 Shilen. AFTER I sent 2 actions to Shilen and had them true them and add barrels (the other is a 300 RUM), I started to hear mixed comments on Shilen bbls and how they had kind of gone to pot after Ed left. So naturally I was disappointed to learn that my 2 first "customs" ever might have crap barrels on them.

Turns out they are both shooters and I have another Shilen bbl in the safe in 7mm waiting to do something with it (hopefully this year).

I also emailed a custom action manufacturer and asked what his components of choice were on his personal hunting rifles. Surprisingly, he said a Shilen bbl. So, I think you are safe with Shilen.

BUT, my button rifled barrel of choice is Hart. My 2nd 7mag has a Krieger.

As to actions: well, BAT is a phenomenal choice, as is Borden. If you want slightly less expensive, go Stiller. I have 2 Stiller actions.

What I may do with the Shilen tube in the safe is order a Borden action and build a good ol 280.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.