New build, 7mm rem mag?

bowhunterjae

Hay all,
Looking for a little insight from the forum.
My gunsmith is going to build me a custom 7mm rem mag.
It will be my primary hunting rifle. Looking for light weight, ergonomic, accurate rifle.
I have three stock 7mm rem mags that have been good to me but just want something that feels perfect. Or close to it.
My best accuracy load in all 3 guns is relatively close to the same. 20-55 off lands depending on rifle, 70 grains H1000, 160g Accubonds, Federal 215. They all run +/- 3000fps.
All 3 guns are 9" and 9.5" twist. 2 24" barrels and 1 26" barrel.
Now that I can choose twist and length it opens up the fact that I could shoot a heavy bullet, shorten barrel, longer barrel, muzzle break, can, whatever. I am just looking for input.
In reality I probably would not be looking at shooting over 500 yards at any game animal and definitely do not want to get into that debate. LOL.
I will be hunting Deer, Elk, Moose and Antelope with this rifle. Many have been killed shooting the 160 g Accubonds but I am open to other bullets and weights if there is a benefit.

Trying not to make any unnecessary mistakes on having my first custom rifle done.

We ordered a Valhalla Long action.

Thinking,
Shilen #3 in 8" "can shoot heavy bullets if needed. Just not sure if it's needed."?
McMillan, Game warden?
Bottom plate?
Timney trigger

Any input is appreciated!

Thank you,
John

If you are set on using a Shilen, then yes 1:8" is the twist I would go with. If you go with another, you could go up to 1:8.7 (Bartlein) and be fine shooting the heavy bullets.
For the stock, I would recommend a vertical (or close) grip and something with a negative comb.
Bottom metal for a hunter should either be a flush DBM (Hawkins Hunter) or a BDL style. If you want to shoot heavies with a BDL, use a Wyatts box and follower.
I would go with a Trigger Tech Special over a Timney, but that is just me.

Big fan of heavy per caliber bullets here! I think H1k, a 180 berger and a 7RM is a darn good combo. If you're set on 160AB then stick with them but I say build something different than the 3 you have.

If it were me I'd do a 24" 8t, throat it for 180s and i think you'll be tickled. McM game warden looks like a nice stock. Could also look at AG Alpines or Manners EH1 if you like that style.

Big fan of heavy per caliber bullets here! I think H1k, a 180 berger and a 7RM is a darn good combo. If you're set on 160AB then stick with them but I say build something different than the 3 you have.

If it were me I'd do a 24" 8t, throat it for 180s and i think you'll be tickled. McM game warden looks like a nice stock. Could also look at AG Alpines or Manners EH1 if you like that style.
Thank you for your input. I am kind of leaning towards the 180g. I will look at the stocks mentioned also if the smith has any in the shop. I was looking at that Manners and it is very comfortable.

If you are set on using a Shilen, then yes 1:8" is the twist I would go with. If you go with another, you could go up to 1:8.7 (Bartlein) and be fine shooting the heavy bullets.
For the stock, I would recommend a vertical (or close) grip and something with a negative comb.
Bottom metal for a hunter should either be a flush DBM (Hawkins Hunter) or a BDL style. If you want to shoot heavies with a BDL, use a Wyatts box and follower.
I would go with a Trigger Tech Special over a Timney, but that is just me.
Well, I am leaning towards a heavier bullet. I am going to mention the Wyatt's box. Like I said. I have no custom rifles so I am going to have to look up "vertical (or close) grip and something with a negative comb" LOL I DONT KNOW ****. Thank you for your input!

If weight is an issue or not,a 2B barrel (I have a Bartlein) in 24" length is sufficient and is easier to handle in the field. Agree with HandgunHTR in regards to twist. Looks like you have an impressive build coming together in a great cartridge. Keep us posted
The smith mentioned the Shilen barrel in #3 but I am open to anything. I will be talking to him again once I compile information.

Thank you all for the input. I have to say I am incredibly excited to have my custom rifle built. I spend a small fortune Hunting multiple states and shooting rats every year and have never had a custom rifle. I retired from the construction industry and always worked with the top of the line tools for the job. It's time to improve my rifle.
Thank you!
John

The only problem with building a custom rifle is everything else just doesn't compare and then you'll be building another and another . I'm on my 3 and already looking at the 4th. Sounds like a good setup . If weight is a concern I'd go carbon fiber barrel and stock . It got my 26 inch barrel rifle down to 7lbs 4oz bare so I'll be as close to 9lbs all in .

Hi, man I'm sitting here licking my chops and debating where or not to type this so I'll say it this way. IF IT WERE ME I would build a .280 Ackley. We shoot the 175 ABLR's and they hit like a Mack truck and we get tremendous dynamic performance on whitetails & mule deer with the 150's. Phenomenal cartridge, pleasant to shoot, super accurate, very impressive A Nodes and easier to build a little lighter rifle without making sacrifices. Bartlein 5R anything, TriggerTech, Peterson brass and I think you'd be tickled pink.

Feel free to DM me to discuss load dev.

S/F

Tim

The smith mentioned the Shilen barrel in #3 but I am open to anything. I will be talking to him again once I compile information.
I bought a barrel from PAC-NOR last year and am very satisfied with accuracy and cost. The only thing I would do differently is trying to estimate weight before deciding on a contour; my rifle turned out heavier than I'd like.

160 grain accubond with 67 grains of imr 7828, 3168 fps. Have had great luck. If you have the dollars, think about a high end walnut stock as well. Am able to switch back and forth with mine because both bedded and action screws always torqued. When hunting i have even used walnut stock depending on terrain and myself.