7mm Remington Mag Build HELP !!

408s10

First of all just want to says thanks for all the replies I got on my last post. This is what I am planning for my build. after a huge amount of deliberation I have decided on a 7mm Rem Mag. I have looked at the top BC of bullets sold by berger and sierra. The highest bullets are 7mm as compared to a .30 cal that's 210 grains. For this gun I am going to do long range shooting with it and also would like to hunt with it given the chance. So, my question is...have I made the right choice or should I just go with a .30cal like a .308 like everyone else or something else...thanks !!

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice (within it's limitations of course); 7MM Rem Mag vs. .300 Win Mag. If BC alone is your deciding factor then IMHHO you're missing out on what what the heavier bullets has to offer.

It boils down to personal preference -- I like heavier bullets. Having said that, I prefer the .300 Win Mag pushing the .210, .215, or .230s Bergers over 7MM Rem Mag pushing the 180 Berger.

Good luck!

I had the same dilemma a few years ago. I already owned the .300 Win. Mag. and decided to build a 7mm Rem Mag around the 180 gr. Bergers. Everything is great, but I could only get the 180's going 2850 fps. I could get over 3000 using Retumbo but my ES wasn't great. Then Berger came out with the 215's and 230's in 30 cal. I'm pushing the 215's at 2950 fps with an ES of 12 and great accuracy out to 600 yds. Haven't really tested past that. I went back to shooting the 168's in the 7mm because I can get over 3000 fps and 1/2 moa accuracy with single digit ES. I really like the "package" my 7mm is built on, but I tend to grab the 300 more often. In the end, you can't go wrong either way.

I debated the same thing when I built my 7mm. The .284 180's (.345) have a higher BC than the .308 210's (.323). The 215gr are slightly higher (.356) and the 230 hybrids are really high (.380). I went with the 7mm because it was flatter and less recoil. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Both are fully capable of killing things to 1,000 yards if you are. I've also been very happy with my Shilen match grade select 27" barrel if you were debating what kind of barrel to get. If you do decide to go with the 7mm, I'd get a fast twist (1/8). gun)

A 7mm RemMag is more than capable of killing just fine at 1,000 yards. I've owned 4 of them, and still have 2 of them. Great caliber.

I also have a bunch of .30 cals, too...Including a biggin' (.300 Ackley Mag), based off an improved .300 Wby case that I shoot Berger 210's in. I also shoot 210's in my .308 Win, and 185 VLD's in my .30-06 AI.

Personally, I don't shoot any 180's out of my 7mm RM's, just the 168 VLD's... But I DO shoot 180's out of my 7mm STW, which pushes them right at 3,000 fps without any pressure signs. and stacks 5 inside of a dime.

You could always have your smith open up the chamber to 7mm STW for some extra oomph. Brass is more expensive than 7mm RM, but I personally think it's well worth it for long range. I've had my STW for over 12 years now, and it's never once let me down.

I have went through this same converstation in my own head. I own a 7RM Sendero. Great gun. I am just finishing up a load with 180's so I am not sure what the velocity is gonna be at yet, but comparing to other people's velocities and my powder charge I should run in the 2900 area. I personally think the 300 win mag is kind like a 7RM with a happy ending. You get the added weight with the heavier bullets. Otherwise they tend to kinda be like brother and sister almost. The reason I still sit with a 7RM is some reasons kinda not related to ballistics. Reason 1) Even with the 180 hybrids seated almost to the lands, I can still fit them in the magazine. Not a big deal, but kinda nice for hunting jsut in case a follow up. Not that I really think it is faster than single loading another round, and not a deal breaker, but just kind of a perk. I think from what I have read, some of the longer 30 cal bullets will turn a factory rifle into a single feed unless using a different mag box, but really is dependent on the rifle most times. I am not sure if the 300 win mag falls in the category or not. Reason 2) Pretty reasonable cost to shoot. Brass is not terribly difficult to find one way or another. With that said, 300 win mag isn't hard to find or as expensive as some of the other more uncommon/larger calibers. 3) My other long range equipment doesn't really allow for super long range stuff, so if I had a bigger caliber, it wouldn't really matter if I could kill something at 1500yds. If I don't have a scope or rangefinder that makes this that much easier, then it doesn't matter.

I think both are great calibers. Can't go wrong with either. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. These are just the reasons I still keep my 7RM for the most part. If I was buying or building, I think I would bump up to the 300 but already owning the 7RM, I can't seem to tip the scale enough to make me get rid of it to have a 300 win mag.

I think you made the right choice with the 7mmRM.

It's been my favorite chambering for a long, long time. It's not a one-size-killer-of-all-things-at-all-distances (nothing is really), but does a fine job on small to large-ish size game and from medium to longish ranges.

If you're only interested in the highest BC projectiles, it's important to not overlook the .30cal offerings. As previously mentioned, the 30cal also has high some high BC projectiles, but they are also scaled up in weight because the .30cal is a larger diameter (OK, I know that's kinda obvious...). :rolleyes:

To get those .30cal high BC bullets to a higher velocity threshold (ie 3,000fps) without which their employment is questionable, you will have to use more powder and all of what comes with that. However, for that extra powder/recoil/muzzle blast you also get a commensurate increase in smack-down! This increase in velocity and smack down is often a welcome tradeoff for longer range hunting because of the wind-shedding properties inherent in the higher BC plus a higher retained on-target lethality.

For me (I already have a 7mmRM and it really is a great chambering), I've decided for my build to split the difference between the really big 7mm's (like the7mm Allen Mag, 7mm RUM, 7mm STW, etc) and will have a 7mm/300 Win mag chambering done. gun)

Pragmatically, it really does come to what you plan on hunting at longer distances in conjunction with your personal comfort with engagements at those distances. Incidentally, that is an entirely different subject which is debated/discussed ad nauseam. :D

Another vote for the 7mm Rem Mag. In guns light enough to carry out hunting you can still enjoy shooting them with manageable recoil and the 168 Bergers.

I also vote for your other suggestion the .308. Those are my two hunting rifles. The .308 is small and light and great to practice with and capable of killing deer sized game at moderate ranges. The 7 Mag is my dedicated long range rig and is capable of cleanly harvesting the largest animals in North America further than I am willing to shoot one.

I think the 7 Mag fills the perfect niche of just enough overbore to push high BC bullets that are heavy enough to cleanly take North American and Plains Game at long ranges without be finicky or requiring extreme gun weight or muzzle breaks.

For long range you those are 2 good calibers but I would go with the 7mm I always thought the 300 could outshoot a 7 until I had the honor of meeting a Military Sniper who took me under his wing and showed me the difference . He has both rifles also but his go to Rifle is that 7mm .

Can't go wrong with a 7 mag! I've owned one since the 1970's! There will always be one in my gun vault. I also own other calibers, but my go to rifle is my 7mag! It's just a great round. Can't say nothing bad about the 30 calibers either, I own a couple! Just have a warm spot in my heart for the 7mag!

DT

Can't go wrong with a 7 mag! I've owned one since the 1970's! There will always be one in my gun vault. I also own other calibers, but my go to rifle is my 7mag! It's just a great round. Can't say nothing bad about the 30 calibers either, I own a couple! Just have a warm spot in my heart for the 7mag!

DT
I agree completely! My 7mm RemMags have always been my go-to rifles. And there's just something about them that has always drawn me to that caliber. I've had atleast one in the safe since I was 16 (have had up to 3 at once), so 12 years now, and while I have MANY other calibers, my go-to will always be a 7mm RemMag. They have never once let me down.

I think I'm coining a new phrase... And you heard it here first folks.

"It's a 7mm thing...You wouldn't understand." :D

Muddrunner!
You are absolutely right! It is a 7mm mag thing!!! There is something about the round that is very addicting. I'm sure there are others on this site that have their fav's also an I can't say nothing negitive about other caibers. To Each His or Her Own!! IMO the 7mm mag just works! To the OP, I really don't think you will be disappointed with the 7mm mag! Just my 2cts!!

DT

Muddrunner!
You are absolutely right! It is a 7mm mag thing!!! There is something about the round that is very addicting. I'm sure there are others on this site that have their fav's also an I can't say nothing negitive about other caibers. To Each His or Her Own!! IMO the 7mm mag just works! To the OP, I really don't think you will be disappointed with the 7mm mag! Just my 2cts!!

DT

I agree. I don't dislike any caliber. Only caliber I absolutely refuse to ever own again and dislike with a passion, is the .338 WinMag. Mine had a beautiful cold-bore zero...But any shots after that went God-knows where. It was horrible. The targets looked like a 12ga with turkey shot at 30 yards. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts