Help with 7mm SAUM build

kl0n0pin

I want to put together a 7mm SAUM. I already have an XLR Evolution Carbon chassis in short action. My question is will the 7mm SAUM with 180 Berger hybrids work in a short action? I plan on using a Defiance Deviant med action with a 28" Bartlein barrel and alpha mags. I have read a lot of articles and keep getting mixed opinions on using a short action with this caliber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can do this?

Contact Travis at RBROS rifles a call. He just put together a 7# rifle in 7 SAUM, for a friend of mine.

Look up elkaholic and ask about his 7 sherman short mag. That will run the 180 and the 195 through the short action with amazing speeds. Imho running a 28" barrel look favors a long action cartridge. The 28 nosler is going to outrun the short mag by about 150 fps and you could trim back to a 26" and still out run one.

kl0n0pin,

Your project can be accomplished by either action length but I suggest staying with the short action in order to allow for using the lighter/shorter bullets when desired.

You can use the magazines which come in two variations, with a plate and without a plate. Without the plate you can achieve an OAL of 2.925 leaving a touch of extra room for wiggle. This length combined with your Berger bullet will work just fine.

Now, if you decide to run with a WSM and the 195 Berger, you should get the Defiance MX action.

Check your PM.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts