Help with 7 SAUM Build

Buckfever34

Hello all. I cross posted this from the bullets and ballistics forum so I'm sorry if you already saw the thread there.

I'm debating on barrel length for this build. I want something short and handy that works well in a scabbard or on my back while on horseback. I'd like to stay at 20" so that with a brake my overall length is manageable. Other than riding in a scabbard it will also climb some mountains and be in a deer blind.

I'm planning on using the 180 ELDM.

Thoughts?

Hi Buck:

I personally recommend a 26" barrel or 24" as a minimum so you can really take advantage of the magnum speeds, the ideal would be a 26 for this cartridge. My brother has a 22" Remington Model 7 in 7 SAUM and is losing about 210 fps due to the barrel lenght on the last test we did vs. my 26" 7mm Rem Mag

With a 20" barrel it will perform more like a 7x08 than a magnum cartridge.

Question, at what distances would you be shooting at whit this rifle?

Regards

LVJ76

Hello all. I cross posted this from the bullets and ballistics forum so I'm sorry if you already saw the thread there.

I'm debating on barrel length for this build. I want something short and handy that works well in a scabbard or on my back while on horseback. I'd like to stay at 20" so that with a brake my overall length is manageable. Other than riding in a scabbard it will also climb some mountains and be in a deer blind.

I'm planning on using the 180 ELDM.

Thoughts?
I have a 7mm WSM and I settled on a 22" barrel and its about perfect with a short radial brake from gunwerks. If your worried about weight use a carbon fiber barrel. That extra 2 inches gives me another 70 fps or so and to me it was worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.