Tikka Hunting Rifle Build Question - 7MM Rem Mag

Jeeper48

I am curious is anyone has personal experience with a semi-custom Tikka build in a magnum cartridge? I am wanting to build a long range hunting rifle in 7mm Rem Mag set up to shoot the 195gr Berger bullets and plan to put it in a Manners stock. However I have read accounts of the Tikka stock recoil lug not holding over time to the magnum recoil, but have also read where the KRG recoil lug takes care of this. Planning on getting the donor rifle soon and if the Tikka won't hold up to the recoil I will be looking for a 700. Do you think with an aftermarket stock I should be good with this action and caliber?

The original recoil lug in a tikka is aluminum, functional but it does deform over use with magnums. The lug on a tikka is also not attached to the action, it is located in a slot in the stock, so it is a separate part from the action. When you get an aftermarket stock, most of them will come with a bedded steel lug built into the stock from the get go. You can get a SS lug from any number of places. I have swapped all my tikkas to steel lugs and haven't had any problems. I'd stick with your idea with the Tikka, they're fantastic rifles and the actions are smooth as glass.

One other consideration:

Stock mag box on a Tikka is very short (~3.3"-3.4").

Might be something aftermarket to correct this but you'll want a long mag box for that combo, for maximum performance.

In my Sako A7 I had to file out the mag box, as well as lengthen the opening at the feed ramp to get my 3.425" COAL to mag feed.

Thanks caliber with that bullet you'll want 3.6" at least, if you can't make that work is go back to a 700 or clone.

One other consideration:

Stock mag box on a Tikka is very short (~3.3"-3.4").

Might be something aftermarket to correct this but you'll want a long mag box for that combo, for maximum performance.
So to correct this issue, would it just be better to concede that the 180 grs would be much better from an OAL standpoint, or better to consider a 7mm WSM in the Tikka long action set up?

Red snake has billet mags that fit in the factory stock for an oal up to 3.5" and they have a different bm option also that allows you to use aics mags with a oal up to 3.6". Although that may still not be long enough to run the 195s seated out long.

That's the direction I'd take a tikka action build, WSM or SAUM, running 180 bergers.
If you don't quite need, the power (and recoil) of the 7mm Mag/ .300 WSMs,.. I've had great luck shooting my .270 WSM with, 140 AccuBond's, at full magazine length (COAL 2.893+/- .002 ) and at 3,150 FPS with, 65.0 grains of IMR 7828, The 140 AB is still going, 2,000 FPS at 700 Yards with this load (my MAX, Elk range). Nosler Bullets "Jump" real well, in Tikka's and still "expand" at 2,000 FPS. The 140 Berger Classic Hunters get you another 100 yards to 800 yds if, you like them. I have shot, several 3 shot, 1.25 inch groups at, 200 yards with, the Nosler 140 AB's and always, under MOA for 5 shots. My Tikka T3 Stainless Lite, weighs, 7.7 pounds with, a Burris 4.5X14 scope and steel Zee Rings on weaver bases. I just have to walk a little closer before shooting and with that, light Rifle,.. I can do this ! PS; I have changed, the Recoil Lug, to STEEL then, adjusted the Trigger, to 2 1/4 pounds and "cleaned up" the forearm rubbing, issue I had, at the same time. The Factory stock with, a Voodoo Tac., cheek rest, is repeatably accurate ( NO shifting of, POI and I've tested for this, Monthly !). Good luck with, your choice !

Last edited:
That's the direction I'd take a tikka action build, WSM or SAUM, running 180 bergers.

7mm Blaser is another option.

To really alleviate your issues you can simply get the tikka mini chassis with your manners stock and it has a built in recoil lug and aics 3.6" oal mags.

I would definitely recommend a short mag 7 with the tikka action.
I rebarreled my tikka 7 rem to 6.5 Saum.
25" barrel with carbon fiber stock weighs in at 5.8 lbs.
The Saum case is fatter than a standard 7 mag and rubs slightly in the mag, it cycles perfectly though.
I'm seating 147's way out there and have plenty of space.
I think a 7 Saum or wsm would be perfect.
Here's a few pics of my tikka, just finished bedding and painting the stock.
20180328_171206.jpg
20180328_171240.jpg

I wish one of, the Arms / Ammo companies would "standardize", the 7mm/ .270 WSM.
That's, the 7mm dia. Bullet on, a "necked up", .270 WSM case (AKA what, the 7mm WSM,.. SHOULD have been). The Canadians are expecting to break, the 1,000 Yard group record with, this Caliber!

I wish one of, the Arms / Ammo companies would "standardize", the 7mm/ .270 WSM.
That's, the 7mm dia. Bullet on, a "necked up", .270 WSM case (AKA what, the 7mm WSM,.. SHOULD have been). The Canadians are expecting to break, the 1,000 Yard group record with, this Caliber!

I'm not trying to be a smart-*** or derail this thread, because I am very interested in building some sort of 7mm cartridge on a Tikka action, reason why i checked in to this thread. . .BUT. . .how is the 270 WSM case superior to the 7 WSM case? The 7 WSM has a longer body only by .038" and the 270 WSM has a longer neck length of .276" vs. .243" of the 7 WSM. With those two minuet differences, how does this make the 7mm/.270 WSM the "Go To" cartridge of the WSM cases? I'm asking to gain knowledge. Thank you.

The Neck length of, the 7mm WSM is, considerably shorter than, both, the .300 and .270 WSM'S and, the Shooting Public did NOT like, the Cartridge due to this factor as,
the bullet needs to be supported by, at least, 1 caliber, in length, for accuracy and to be able to adjust bullet length ( COAL) to lands, properly. The 7 MM Diameter bullet, has a great BC and the .270-.300 WSM's are great cases with, the 35 degree shoulder, thick Modern case with,.. NO belt ! The 7mm WSM is OK as a hunting round but, it has suffered amongst Target shooters, due to THIS shorter Neck,.. design "flaw" and the bbl burning factor that, a shorter neck contributes to.
YEP,...038 shorter, killed the 7mmWSM to SOME,..Gun Buyers,..IMO !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.