New rifle build question

Truk505

I'm having Melvin Forbes build me a rifle, I've got it narrowed down to two cartridges/rifles, my favorite and his. It's either be a 280ai or a 284win. The reason I say cartridge/ rifle is because a 280ai will be the model 24 at around 5.5# and the 284 will be around 5# even.

This will be a hunting rifle, used for deer, elk, and moose.

With it being a hunting rifle, and built by Melvin Forbes, which cartridge should a guy go with?

On a side note, I reload.

Seeing as your both on the same page with the 7mm bullets I would defer to the the rifle builder unless I just absolutely had my heart set on the one I wanted. The half pound difference in weight wouldn't be a big deal IMHO.

I vote for the 284 win. Forbe's model 20 uses a 3.1" mag box length which would be perfect for the 284 win. A friend was considering getting one in 284 but at the time Melvin talked him out of it. Said the quality of the 284 brass was terrible. These days you can buy new specially fabricated Norma 284 brass from Bullets.com (read more below) Or you can take 6.5-284 Lapua brass and neck it up.

I have a 284 win chambered rifle with a 3.1" mag box. I am currently shooting 168 Berger VLDs @ 2836 fps.

information on the new norma 284 brass:

Norma to Make 6mm Dasher and .284 Win Brass for Bullets.com « Daily Bulletin

buy the norma brass it here:

Bullets.com®)

I love my lightweight .284, it is my go to rifle when backpacking, or any long trips. The only bad thing about this rifle for me is that I am now out of the Barnes 140 gr XLC bullets and will have to work up a load with the TTSX.

Just so you know, a light .284 does have some recoil. A buddy of mine used my rifle to shoot a buck and nicknamed it "Tyson" because he said he thought he'd been punched in the head by Tyson, lol! Personally, I don't think it's any worse than a .300 Win mag and being a good 2 lbs lighter than most rifles makes up for the recoil.

I love my lightweight .284, it is my go to rifle when backpacking, or any long trips. The only bad thing about this rifle for me is that I am now out of the Barnes 140 gr XLC bullets and will have to work up a load with the TTSX.

Just so you know, a light .284 does have some recoil. A buddy of mine used my rifle to shoot a buck and nicknamed it "Tyson" because he said he thought he'd been punched in the head by Tyson, lol! Personally, I don't think it's any worse than a .300 Win mag and being a good 2 lbs lighter than most rifles makes up for the recoil.

I'm not worried about the recoil, I've got a Kimber Montana chambered in 280ai and had a Sako Finnlight in 300wsm so it's not something I'm worried about.

I mostly concerned with the preformance of the 284win vs the 280ai.

As intriguing as the 284 is, after talking with Melvin today, I think I'm just going to go with the 280ai.

I reload, but I want to just buy quality brass, load and go. Melvin suggested because of the availability of quality brass the 280ai has, it would be the better choice.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now I just have to pick a color for my stock, I've got about 2-3 months before my rifle will be ready.

One thing I've learned in the last few years about our sport is, being made and being available can be two totally different things.

I'd bet Melvin doesn't know about the new Norma 284 brass made exclusively for Bullets.com!

I didn't realize this was a secret? Not to mention how many people neck up 6.5x284 lapua brass and shoot sub moa groups at 1k. And all this time I thought that was good brass, I guess I should've looked for federal brass :D

I didn't realize this was a secret? Not to mention how many people neck up 6.5x284 lapua brass and shoot sub moa groups at 1k. And all this time I thought that was good brass, I guess I should've looked for federal brass :D

I didn't want to neck up any brass, and there are a few shops within 5 miles of my house that have Nosler 280ai brass on their shelves.

I'm not going to use this rifle as a 1000yd bench rifle, it'll be strictly for moose, elk, and deer, with 99% of my shots on game being under 500yds.

If I was building a bench rifle, brass quality would be a bigger part of the equation, but this is strictly a hunting rifle, so cartridge capability is important, and being able to readily buy Nosler brass for it off the shelf is also a bonus.

I lived near Melvin for many years. He built his rep on the lightweight .284.....like a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester......a classic.....never got one......mistake.....

I didn't want to neck up any brass, and there are a few shops within 5 miles of my house that have Nosler 280ai brass on their shelves.

I'm not going to use this rifle as a 1000yd bench rifle, it'll be strictly for moose, elk, and deer, with 99% of my shots on game being under 500yds.

If I was building a bench rifle, brass quality would be a bigger part of the equation, but this is strictly a hunting rifle, so cartridge capability is important, and being able to readily buy Nosler brass for it off the shelf is also a bonus.

Just pointing out the fact that the necked up brass is beyond capable for your application and 99+% of shooters would label the brass "good" if not excellent (aka the best). To each his own, good luck in the field. The extra case capacity will serve you well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts